Monday, August 05, 2024

Good morning world

I have no exciting news for you, but I want to make sure my readers know I'm alive and well.  Between both Cliff and me, we had a fine time during Prime days.  Of course, now that we've seen our bill, it isn't so fine, except that we enjoy the things we purchased.  I bought a FitBit, which wasn't cheap, even on sale.  The main thing I wanted it was to tell me how many steps I take; I also wanted to find out what it would say about my sleep at night.

I took a picture with my camera because I didn't know how to take a screenshot on my phone.  I googled it, and the instructions were to press and hold the power button and the down button.  Finally I had success:  I was holding the two buttons too long!  But since I already have the other picture, I'll use it.  I imagine any seven-year-old would know more about smartphones than I do.  I had the next-door grandson helping me do something on my phone and he said, "Grandma, you have 97 tabs on here!"

I have no idea what a tab is.  I thought if I used the phone to surf the internet, all I had to do was swish it up with my finger and it was gone.  

Anyway, here's how my nights go:


I never sleep more that six hours and thirty minutes.

On the plus side, although I can't "take walks" like I used to, I often get around 10,000 steps just gardening, going to the mailbox, visiting the goats, etc.  I am also one of those folks who sits down inside, then end up thinking of this or that and going to do some minor task before I forget it.

We went to a reunion on my father's side yesterday at a park about 70 miles from us in Cameron, Missouri.  It was getting pretty hot around 2 PM, but we had a good meal and interesting conversations before we left.  There are fewer people every year, like most reunions.  I had stopped going to both my reunions at one time, but my cousin Lela has two daughters on Facebook, and they got me going again.  I would go to my mom's Stevens' family reunion, but most of the folks are a different branch of the family except for four cousins and a couple of their children.  Those four cousins are the ones I used to play with most as a kid, and I cherish them; but I'd rather we just got together with them sometimes.

In 1944, my father and three of his brothers (with their wives, of course) had baby girls.  The next year someone took a picture of the four babies sitting on a blanket in the yard.  I'm the one in the bonnet.  The picture hasn't had the best of care, but here we are, the 1944 babies.

Honestly, I don't know who's who, except for myself.

And look at this: We have all survived to the age of 80.

Donna, Lela, Alice, and Frances, who had the rotten luck to blink at the wrong time.  I guess we'll just have to stay well for another year, and next time we'll take more than one picture, just in case.

By the way, the two on the right graduated with me in North Kansas City High School.  Lela's parents always stayed on their farm in north Missouri, and she and her husband lived in that area too.

The other three of us... well, Alice once said her parents must have been gypsies, they moved so often.  I know my parents moved many, many times, and Frances's family moved around too.  They even lived in California once, picking fruit.

We've all been well blessed.

7 comments:

  1. I love my old Fitbit and hope it survives a lot longer. A newer one might be harder to figure out. I don't have it track my sleep because I never wear it in bed. Is that what you have to do? What a lovely photo from the reunion! We used to get together for various family occasions but now it's mainly birthdays and funerals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have to wear it to bed for that. I'm not getting the premium stuff, and I'm not putting my calories on it, although I could if I wanted to.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:23 PM

    Sister Fleta walks 10,000 steps each day. She did it last year too. My watch measures my steps too but I don’t always get 10,000. If Fleta doesn’t get 10,000, she match’s in place til she hits that magic number!

    Love the picture of old ladies as babies.
    Galla Creek

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use my phone to keep track of my steps. I've often wondered about the quality of my sleep, but have no desire to spend money on something to keep track of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to carry my phone around all day to track my steps. I'm in and out all the time and don't always have pockets big enough for a phone.

      Delete
  4. I love those pictures! My smart phone was synced to my phone. The one that fell in the portapotty. It died too. Out of sympathy, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:03 PM

    I love the pictures. It’s wonderful that you all still can get together…

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!