Saturday, September 07, 2024

I need a sleep test

Now that I've had my Fitbit watch for a while, I'm pretty sure the reason I can't sleep is that I have sleep apnea.  A good night for me is six hours, but I don't usually sleep even that long.  I always wake up at least four times each night, sometimes more; this morning when I checked the Fitbit, I had only slept four hours and ten minutes.  And yes, I snore, which is another indication I may have sleep apnea.  Other than the last symptom on the list below, I have all these problems; well, except of course I don't know if I stop breathing in my sleep, so there's that.  More often than not, when we're watching TV Cliff has to wake me up at least once if I want to know what's happening on West Wing, my very favorite show.  Also during the Chiefs games, my other favorite show. 

  • Snoring too much
  • Periods when you stop breathing during sleep (sleep apnea)
  • Daytime sleepiness
  • You can't sleep (insomnia)
  • You are very sleepy during the day and fall asleep without warning (narcolepsy)
  • Conditions that cause leg discomfort. These are called limb movement disorders. They include periodic limb movements during sleep (restless legs syndrome).

I suppose I'll have to see my regular doctor first.  If I could just sleep without all the interruptions it would help.   

Oh, and according to what I've read today on the Internet, there's a sleep study I could do at home now.

I've had other folks tell me how good they slept after they got their Cpap machine; I'd like to know what it feels like to wake up and actually want to do things without having to force myself.

Wish me luck.

4 comments:

  1. Yep, ask your primary for a referral to the lung docs / pulmonologists. Some specialize in Sleep Study medicine. When I went to the overnight "pretend you're at home" sleep study in the lab, I sore I'd never slept. The test and techs said I did, but I stopped breathing on average of one-fourth of the time! Not breathing is not good for any body part: brain, heart, lungs, nerves. I feel better with my CPAP on. They're quiet and the techs help you get the right fit. Good Luck! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister is dealing with this right now. Good luck. They've come a long way in treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cpap machines help many people and it's worth a try. Lack of decent sleep can affect so many things in day to day life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:34 PM

    It really has helped my sister Helen. I have wondered if it’d help me!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!