Monday, September 09, 2024

Fun with goats

I try to spend at least half an hour sitting in the goat pen each day.  It's just so nice to pet them and watch them chewing their cud or eating hay; I take a cup full of sweet feed, and mother and daughter almost get in a fight, each one trying to get the most of it.  Gabe was jealous and acted like he wanted to chase them for a while, but the goats aren't afraid of him; in fact the youngster, Louise, loves to play with him.  I'm glad that's working out.  Louise insists on sitting on my lap every time I'm out there, although she's growing so fast she needs my help to get up on me.

Blue the cat was going to the goat pen every day with us, but it appears he went in on his own at some point and got stung by the electric fence.  I always turn it off when Gabe and I go in.  I hate it that Blue won't join us now.  He really doesn't understand what happened, so when he got shocked, he seems to have decided it's dangerous anywhere in the pen.  I even carried him out and put him down on the ground by me thinking he'd be alright if he wasn't getting shocked, but he ran out as fast as he could.

Here's a little video to show you how much fun a dog and a young goat can have together.

7 comments:

  1. That was fun to watch. I envy you your half hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bettina9:44 PM

    Did you read about the goats down in the riverside park? No one knows who they belong to! I think it KC Parks that's trying to catch them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those 15 goats are there to clean up Berkley Riverfront. Goats eat weeds, and the city pays for them to clear out the weeds. They even eat poison ivy.

      Delete
  3. Gabe has some entertaining playmates. I've never seen goats with those colors before. They're actually very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Nigerian dwarf goats. I'm hoping to get at least one of them bred in the spring and for milk. The lady I got them said I could take them to visit her male goat. The young one has blue eyes, which I've never seen on a goat before.

      Delete
  4. That's wonderful! Petting an animal is so therapeutic. Cats are reputed to be untrainable but that's not true. Blue remembers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the goats, and the dog. Poor Blue though.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!