Friday, January 22, 2010

Shawnee Mission Medical Center

I'm home.
I haven't spent much time in hospitals. In fact, last night was the first time I've spent a night in a hospital since I had my babies... unless you count the time I stayed with Cliff when he had heart surgery.

But I'll tell you this: I was totally impressed by all the staff at Shawnee Mission Medical Center. From the time I checked in until they wheeled me out the door in a wheelchair, I had first-class treatment.
Now I'll admit I'm a low-maintanence patient; I had my Ipod and Cliff's laptop to keep me occupied. I had one dose of morphine right after I woke up after surgery, but from then on, I needed no pain-killers of any kind (the nurses seemed surprised by that). Still, there was somebody checking in constantly to see if I needed anything. At 3 A.M. this morning a nurse asked if I wanted anything to drink, and I jokingly said, "Some coffee would be good."
He went and made a pot of coffee just for me.
Another nurse who's worked there for six years told me what a great place it is to work. He, his wife, and his sister work there; as I understand it, the hospital is putting his sister through nursing school. Day care is provided right next door for the employees' children, so he and his wife take turns having lunch with their little girl; since his wife is a supervisor, she gets to pop in and see her often throughout the day.
No wonder the staff treats the patients so great: They're happy people!

9 comments:

  1. You are so right... Happy People make Happy Employees. Happy Employees work better because they are... well Happy! Too bad not all employers realize that.

    Glad you had such a good experience with the hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get too spoiled there...sounds like a good place to be if you have to. Take care !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindie12:20 PM

    Glad you are ok and home now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that things went well and you are now at home. Having good people to see about you means everything in a hospital stay. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would that more hospitals and other work places got that message.

    DB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds as though you are none the worse for wear and maybe even enjoyed your stay! Glad you're home now though. It's not the same without you here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicki6:15 PM

    OK, so what was it? I'm so glad that you're fine and that you were treated well, BUT WHAT WAS IT???? The suspense is killing me. Who will take care of Bonnie and Sir? Wish I was close by to help. Take care Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:34 PM

    Dee from Tennessee

    Thankful the Med Center was really nice and thankful at the same time that you're back home cause when it comes down to it -- there's no place like home, right? Take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you're home...there's no better place to recuperate, being surrounded by the people and things you love. I'm a low-maintenance type of patient as well, whether in the hospital or at home. Back in '99 when I was very ill and hospitalized for 4 days, I got such a lovely compliment from one of the nurses. He'd come in during his break and sat down in the chair next to my bed to chat with me and he told me, "You know, this is the most popular room on the ward. Everyone loves to come in here and visit with you." After having worked in hospitals myself for several years, I know the 'squeaky wheel' is the most annoying to the nursing staff. I always said "please" and "thank you" for everything they did for me. Amazing how common courtesy works, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!