Tuesday, January 05, 2010

By request

I've had a couple of people ask for my recipe for butternut squash soup. It's really not "mine", I found it on the Internet. It calls for a medium-sized butternut squash, but I think you might be able to figure out how to make it using cooked squash you've frozen.

Prep Time: 15 Minutes

Cook Time: 45 Minutes

Ready In: 1 Hour

Servings: 4

"Squash, potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion cook up quickly into a thick, delicious soup."

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter

1 small onion, chopped

1 stalk celery, chopped

1 medium carrot, chopped

2 medium potatoes, cubed

1 medium butternut squash - peeled, seeded,

and cubed

1 (32 fluid ounce) container chicken stock

salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Melt the butter in a large pot, and cook the onion, celery, carrot, potatoes, and squash 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Pour in enough of the chicken stock to cover vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 40 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender.

2. Transfer the soup to a blender, and blend until smooth. Return to pot, and mix in any remaining stock to attain desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.

It seems to me that if you cooked all the other vegetables without the squash, then added the squash from your freezer (you'd have to guess how much), that ought to work. You can also make breads, pies, and such from your freezer supply using pumpkin recipes. Someone told me Libby's pumpkin is partly butternut squash.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I thought I saw a Butternut Squash at the grocery the other day but saw nothing saying so but I was in a hurry. It did make me think of you though. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had some the other night but it was Trader Joe's brand. It was good. I won't want any for a long time now but it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy. Butternut squash is about $1 per pound here. makes me shudder.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!