Sunday, January 24, 2010

Mother's keepsakes

The house where my mom was working was quarantined, so one of her boy friends (my dad) brought her a candy bar from town.

Mother saved this match some boy threw at her in 1932, and the cigarette another guy was smoking that got soaked somehow during their horseplay.

She saved these straws she had used to drink a bottle of pop her boy friend (later to be my dad) bought her. Again, 1932.


Here's an excerpt from a letter to Mother from her sister in 1938 containing this shocking bit of information: My aunt did laundry on Sunday! True confessions.


My parents sold our home in Harlem for $5,000 and we moved to the Crestview subdivision in Kansas City, North. That was a big step up for us, even though Crestview was made up of cheap pre-fab houses. Those houses are still standing, though.

Here's the Crestview house.


This was taken, I believe, at my Uncle Carl's farm. My dad is in front with my cousin, Royce, on his lap. I was obviously having one of my frequent pouting spells... that's me next to Daddy. Maybe I was jealous. My lovely sister is standing directly behind me.
The more I look at this picture, the more I realize it's priceless!
It's been a perfect day to rummage through my mom's keepsakes. I notice I did an entry on some of these same things last February, so I guess it's a typical wintertime activity for me.
Click on any of the images to make them bigger.


3 comments:

  1. She had some odd keepsakes. They meant a lot to her I am sure. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture is priceless as are all the keepsakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how she wrote notes to explain what each thing was...good idea. Sheila

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!