Monday, July 20, 2009

Using a butter mold

With the help of Google, I found a website that explains the proper use of a butter mold. Maybe I'll try it sometime. I didn't realize you are supposed to leave the butter in the mold in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.

"It is as rare to find modern butter molds as it is to find someone who knows how to use them. Instructions for use of a modern butter mold: 1 - Soak the mold in ice water for 30 minuutes and -if convenient - refrigerate the mold for 30 minutes more. This helps to keep the butter from sticking in the mold. 2 - Rinse the mold with cold water and fill it with softened butter. 3 - Smooth the surface with a spatula and cover with plastic wrap. 4- Chill for 2 hours or more.
5 - To unmold the butter, run the tip of a knife around the outside edge to loosen it.
Cleaning wooden molds: Use hot water, mild soap, and a brush to loosen residue - but do not soak the mold in water."


4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to you trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Last time I went home I picked up the glass churn and butter mold, but had no idea what was next and just hadn't gotten to the Google part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you know. The power of Google!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so lazy. I just buy mine at the store and leave it in the fridge. I use so little butter/margarine a package lasts us forever.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!