Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My back yard

Cliff doesn't like to have to mow around things; you know, things like trees and flowers. If it were up to him, our yard would be nothing but grass. Or maybe concrete. So there's always been this bone of contention between us: I like some flowers and trees. He likes to look at them, but he doesn't want to mow around them.

Recently we were having a "discussion" about all the stuff growing here and there in the back yard, and he suggested that if I didn't like the way he mows, I should mow the back yard myself. I considered it, and that's what I'm going to do. I'll push-mow it.

Just beyond the satellite dish is the birdbath, one more thing to mow around.


This side of the Dish I have a pathetic-looking group of iris and peonies I brought from the yard at the old house, plus some day lilies I bought from a nursery. If you're familiar with those flowers, you know that they'll soon spread and crowd out all that grass that is trying to take over the flowerbed.

I love day lilies, but the flowers don't last long.

I have these impatiens by the steps...

and more on the way to the garage. I planted these on the north side of the house, thinking they'd be shaded; but they're never in the shade. Nevertheless, they seem to thrive. That's a dogwood tree behind them, and to their right are some astilbes I planted this spring. So far those have failed to impress me, but perhaps they'll do more next year.

I joined the Arbor Day Foundation and received ten tiny trees. Unfortunately, only two survived: the Washington Hawthorns. I transplanted them from the garden to the back yard this morning.

These are in the front yard; I got the tall phlox from a long-since-deceased neighbor lady, and I think of her when I look at them; she didn't even know what the flower was. Everybody should have some tall phlox, as well as coneflowers. They ask nothing from you, and just keep blooming.

So, Cliff asked exactly what portion of the back yard I intend to mow, and I told him I'll take care of all the back yard for the full length of the trailer. I think I can do that.

Oh, by the way: The ear wax removal stuff is starting to work, and I can hear again.

6 comments:

  1. I might have to get me some of those flowers you suggest. I need something that doesn't want too much TLC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those day lilies will spread out for sure. Mine are so thick I need to divide them again. That is still a good bit of yard you will be mowing. Hope you get out when it is cool to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need the tall phlox & coneflowers if they are like that. They are beautiful. Good luck with the grass cutting. I'm glad your ear is getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need the tall phlox & coneflowers if they are like that. They are beautiful. Good luck with the grass cutting. I'm glad your ear is getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always did all the grass mowing and had lots of things to mow around. I like to do yard work but can't do it all anymore but can do some and I'm thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do all the yard work here. Pat decided to help me and now my brand new lawn mower has a flat tire and the pushmower quit aftyer he ran over a brick

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!