Tuesday, July 07, 2009

It's a decent birthday

This morning I decided to take a horseback ride down to the river bottom. I didn't go all the way to the Missouri River, though. I simply rode down Old Coal Mine Road....

and over to McGrew Mine Road, which took me back to...

the highway home.


The trouble with those roads to and from the river bottom is that they're shaded, and biting flies of various kinds lurk there. Even though I applied rub-on fly repellent to Blue's head, neck and ears, he still had a terrible time of it, as you can see in this very brief video:




I ate some cereal (with good fresh Jersey milk) before I left on the horse; this was an unfortunate choice, since Cliff, when he got up at 10 o'clock, announced his intention of taking me out for breakfast. Oh well, there's always pizza for lunch.

Cliff is glad to go the extra mile for my birthday. He even bought me two sets of rusty wheel weights for my Oliver tractor; of course, he'll be painting them for me eventually. I know this because I was with him when he bought the paint. That's his brother Phil on the left; he picked the weights up for Cliff, since he was at Cook's Tractor in Clinton yesterday anyhow. Phil's friend, on the right, asked Cliff, "What do you need the weights for?"

I had to laugh out loud at the question, since he could have just as easily asked, "What do you need the tractor for?"

Cliff's answer was, "Because the tractor looks better with wheel weights on it."

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! That's some good, sound reasoning.

Then we were off to Higginsville to the tractor dealer who sells Oliver parts. Yes friends, Cliff spares no expense on my birthday: He wants my Oliver to look good.

That's a piece of plastic he's holding in his hand.

It's the first item listed on this bill: "strip.... $150." Seriously!

I'm pretty sure I over heard the proprietor and his wife making plans to visit Hawaii after Cliff made his purchases.

By the way, this is all written tongue-in-cheek; I am the first one to tell Cliff, "If you want it, get it; you only live on this earth once."

Thanks to all the wonderful birthday greetings from my readers and my Facebook friends.

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:27 PM

    Did you get the card from the girls? It was in the front screen door. Glad your birthday is going good. Now, everyone who hasn't voted, vote for Sir Loin. I'm just saying.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your Ollie will love so nice once he's done. LOL

    Poor Blue.

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you had a pretty good birthday after all!!!Even got 'your tractor' stuff! ha! Hope Cliff realizes how good a wife he has!!! Course come to think of it, he must be pretty special to you too...for you to be that good wife!
    love ya,
    carlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it was a good one. Sorry I couldn't stop by. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Donna, You know, I always feel a little special connection with you because we are exactly the same age but for a few days. Yeh, I will hit the big 65 on the 25th of this month. We both have been married the same years and we still have our hubbys. Here's to hoping we both have a few more good years left. Happy Birthday to ya!!!
    Check this out.
    http://www.paulsadowski.org/BirthData.asp

    ReplyDelete
  6. All birthdays should be so GRAND. I always enjoy your horse rides. Too bad about those pesky flies.
    HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it sounds like a grand birthday... But then I think any day that contains some time spent with a horse to be a good one ;p

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday a few hours late. This was a fun read, I've received those types of gifts for special occasions too.

    I couldn't keep from laughing at Kevin's comment about voting for Sir Loin on your poll. I'm rooting for Sir Loin to win it sounds more appetizing than Clyde.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry I missed your actual birthday but I haven't had much time to do much visiting lately. So...I'm sending birthday greetings and blessings a day late. I can't imagine spending a nicer way to celebrate than taking a peaceful ride! Too bad about the biting flies, tho! I don't think I'll have any problem remembering your birthday from now on...one of my grandmother's was born on 7/7/07 in the last century! That was one birthday I never forgot, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you had such a wonderful birthday! Thanks for the birthday wishes on our shared b-day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had such a wonderful birthday! Thanks for the birthday wishes on our shared b-day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you had such a wonderful birthday! Thanks for the birthday wishes on our shared b-day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:17 AM

    Happy BirthdAY! A little late but heartfelt. I love going for rides on Blue, so peaceful. Your Oliver is coming along nicely. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy belated Birthday Donna and may you have many many more. Hugs, Anne

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!