Wednesday, July 01, 2009

And now, for the post script to the calf story

Cliff and I have been planning since February to attend the Wing Ding in Tulsa, Oklahoma, this coming weekend. It was close enough, this year, that we could ride our motorcycle without being on the road for days.

We've wanted to attend one of these rallies ever since we got our first Gold Wing, and had planned on attending the one in Nashville, Tennessee, in 2006. Then Cliff got sidelined by CABG surgery. Seriously sidelined.

So this year we signed up to go, and made our reservations. We rescheduled our son's annual visit that is usually around Independence Day. We got our T-shirts in the mail.

Then we bought a Jersey cow. Cliff told me when we bought her that the timing was all wrong, that she was due to calve about the time we'd be leaving to go to the Wing Ding. And yet, he encouraged me to buy her.

"It'll be OK," I told him. "We'll just leave the cow and calf in the pen behind the barn, and have your sister make sure she has hay and water. We'll only be gone for three days."

Well, after yesterday's happenings, it got me thinking about all the things that could go wrong. Milk fever, for instance. Or the calf might get scours (diarrhea) and die.

Every time I thought about missing the Wing Ding, I teared up. Every time I thought about leaving the cow and calf at this critical time, I teared up. And I don't tear up easily.

So, with a lump in my throat, I called and canceled our hotel reservations.

Cliff's sister could keep an eye on the animals, and so could our daughter. The trouble is, they wouldn't really know what signs to look for; they can't diagnose cattle problems.

We invested too much money in this cow (more than she's worth these days, but she is a beauty) to take the chance of her dying while we're off riding the motorcycle.

I intend to let her calf run in the pasture with her, once he's strong enough; within a month or so, he'll be able to take all her milk. If we need milk, I'll put him in the barn lot overnight so I can milk her the next morning. Otherwise, Baby will take care of the milking.

I do believe that things generally work out for the best. So we'll just assume this happened for a reason, while knowing that this leaves us funds for a different vacation to some other spot.

12 comments:

  1. Sorry about that trip. Looks like you are not meant to go there. Glad the babe and mama are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really had to make a choice between two things you love but that life I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your trip also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:40 PM

    I like to think that "all things happen for a reason" like our quirky neighbor...your trip timing..and the little calf...and I do believe you made a good decision...at least you have a nice t shirt???? LOL...and now...let the planning begin...for your next trip!!!! happy day..Ora

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindie4:46 PM

    Thinking positively, you have all the fun of planning a different trip. I always think half the fun is planning! Plus now you will have milk and cream!! Will you make homemade ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Come to CA...but wait til Oct... it's too hot here now, but we DO have a pool....and the room and board is FREE !! It's a great vacation spot right smack dab in the center of the state of California. And Yosemite Nat'l Park is only 90 miles away...a greay 'day' trip. The Pacific Ocean is only a 2 hour drive from us. It won't be FUN, I guarantee !! Especially here at Skaggs rip-off Bed and Breakfast !! Think about kids !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, I'm sorry about your trip, maybe next year? I'm reading your posts about these cows and this calf like I'm reading a good novel. I love these update and I'm learning so much. Thanks Mo! Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's best to go with your intuition. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your son7:35 PM

    Well, you know which I'd have picked, but if I hadn't come earlier Deb and I wouldn't have had the chance for our long weekend trip to Savannah this weekend so it worked out for me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is all for a reason...that calf's birth may be a blessing to you.
    love ya,
    carlene

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry you missed your trip. That is one fine calf however!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always say that things happen for a reason. Wow, what an exciting day YOU had. I cleaned the ice box.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!