Monday, July 27, 2009

Don't throw away those huge cucumbers!

A couple of days ago, I went out to the garden and gathered up all those big, yellowish cucumbers Rena and I have been tossing to the side, because I remembered a recipe my former neighbor, Barbara, shared with me; she called them cucumber curls. Google takes me to various other names for the same pickle.

They are more like candy that pickles, and I can't wait to taste them once again. This morning my job was to peel the cucumbers and take the seeds out.

Then I cut them into "curls". Now they are soaking in lime water for twenty-four hours.

I learned yesterday evening that you won't find the pickling lime in the grocery section, and that stick cinnamon is almost five dollars for a little jar containing six sticks. I could have passed out from the shock!


It's a beautiful day today, and I think I'm going to try out my lawn mower if the grass dries just a little.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck on making those pickles and cutting your grass. If you peel and slice those older cucumbers and fry the slices indivually they tase really good like squash does. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, now this is interesting! Can's wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindie3:12 PM

    When I googled cucumber curls, it took me to your blog! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:32 PM

    My neighbor found cinnamon sticks at a Dollar Store in their craft department. She said they worked just as well as the $5 ones from the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:01 PM

    Okay, have to admit, the title had me hysterical ;o.~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful way to be economical and not waste. Waiting for the next post to see how it will turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sound interesting but I remember those days of canning and all the WORK. Just wish I had some huckleberries to can is all. Other wise I have given up on canning anything after doing a few jars of tomoto hot sauce last summer. But good luck with the curls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made these last year...they are AWESOME! I called them Candied Cukes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are soooooooo lucky I'm behaving myself today. lol

    It's not the size of the cuke - it's the juice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know this is an old post, but I was hoping you wouldn't mind telling me what kind of cucumbers those are? I recently bought a package of seeds that were supposed to be "mexican" cucumbers ( small, green, round, and striped) but they look nothing like the picture and now look like yours. So now I am trying to find out what they are so I can grow them again next year in my yard. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!