Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Good eats

Cliff and I have been eating like royalty lately. Yesterday, for instance:

we had cooked Savoy cabbage...

corn-on-the-cob....

and potatoes boiled, and then browned in Bonnie-butter.

Today we'll have Kentucky Wonder beans cooked with a healthier version of Kielbasa

with small potatoes thrown in. I may have to quarter a larger potato, because the potato crop is mostly made up of huge potatoes, now.

If some of you were my neighbors, I'd share a few.

Of course, there are tomatoes in abundance; I canned seven quarts yesterday, and there's a bowl of grape tomatoes on the table at all times. The bugs killed the zucchini, but the butternut squash is still doing well (knock wood). None of them are ready to eat, though.

I've discovered something this year: Almost any vegetable is good stir-fried with a little soy sauce. I've done this with grated cabbage, snow peas, and zucchini. I'm sure it would work great with green beans, too. I always put some sliced onions in, and some chunks of sweet pepper. My grocery list is considerably shorter, these days.

I'm waiting for some eggplants to get just a wee bit larger, and then I'm going to try another Russian recipe from Meesha. He says it's almost impossible to screw it up. I like that in a recipe; that, and the fact that it doesn't have a lot of exotic ingredients. And I wasn't disappointed in the borscht.

M.V., if you and your daughter come out this weekend, you are welcome to take home some garden goodies.



I really want some more fried green tomatoes, but two people can only eat so much.

12 comments:

  1. Man, you two are eating G O O D! I wish I was a neighbor of your's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that all looks so good! I've never had Savoy Cabbage before. But I love the regular kind. I wondered if your tomatoes were coming on well. How great to have all that work pay off for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, I am still counting on coming on Sunday but things change often in my life, so I'll email you by the end of the week for sure.Are there any pick-your-own places around, I know they have a peach orchard where we always go but they won't let you pick stuff, just sell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love garden stuff! Too bad I don't live closer! We'd all be eating good! And I even know how to cook it, freeze it and all that! LOL

    Hope all is well
    Love, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that looks as good as a uh..uh, can't think of anything right now but it sure looks good from here. Especially when we been dieting for almost a year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie-butter. I love it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had any fried green tomatoes yet. Tomatoes aren't doing very well around here so far this Summer because of the cold, wet Spring and then the scorching hot and dry June and first part of July that we've had. Most people are waiting to get ripe tomatoes before they start sacrificing any for fried green tomatoes.

    My favorite way to eat fresh green beans is to stir fry them till they're tender crisp and a little brown, then toss in some soy sauce for the last few minutes of cooking. Yum! And my neighbor only raises Kentucky Wonders, which are fabulous to stir fry that way.

    Enjoy your garden bounty. January isn't that far away, when we'll be craving all this fresh produce, with not a genuine ripe tomato to be found for love nor money.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lindie7:02 PM

    I remember the days when I had a huge garden. I felt so proud to have a full pantry, all my canned goods would last us through the winter. I made my own tomato sauce, apple butter, apple sauce, pickles, even watermelon pickles!Lots in the freezer too, including a steer every other year!Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh Donna you're making me hungry especially hearing those fried green tomatoes sizzling. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are some "good eatin' days"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's all lookin' good Donna. I have started roasting most of my veggies. I toss them in a bit of olive oil and sea salt or any large grain salt, along with lots of herbs. I love roasted potatoes, eggplant, onions, asparagus and in the fall brussel sprouts. One pan roasting is easy. About the sea salt and kosher salt ....although it's larger in size, it is also stronger and one doesn't use nearly as much salt to season their food with. I am trying different salts now that have lemon or differnt herbs infused in them.
    Those fried green tomatoes look divine. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  12. All those fresh veggies is making me hungry and I just ate LOL. Helen

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!