Saturday, July 25, 2009

Remembering things my mother taught me

Today I was getting some canning jars ready to be filled with tomatoes. One thing you must do with your old jars is run a finger over the rim of the opening to make sure there are no nicks, because if there's the slightest flaw on that rim, the jar of tomatoes won't seal. I throw away such jars, but my mother didn't.

Oh no, if there was any possible use for an object, Mother wouldn't think of tossing it. She had a collection of old-time zinc lids; with these, you buy some rubber rings and then screw on the lid. The jar seals at the lower rim, instead of at the mouth.

So I went to Google to see if those rubber rings can be found. Indeed, Lehman's has them. I assume you'd have to look on Ebay to find the old-style zinc lids, though.

Just another random memory sparked by my canning adventures.

7 comments:

  1. I have some of those jars too. Mine are clear and when Gabby was little I used to keep them in our kitchen window with colored water in them...they looked so pretty when the sun would shine in thru them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some jars just like those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those colored jars make beautiful containers for dries beans, rice pasta and peas. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very resourceful and creative. Life is a wonderful adventure for you. That is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your journal. I've learned so much from you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL I googled to see if i could find any and I found this entry! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny you should mention Lehman's. They have one close by to wear we camp and we love looking around there. They have alot of anything and everything. Of course it is in the heart of farm country and Amish country to boot.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!