Thursday, June 10, 2010

A tour of my daughter's workplace

Yesterday, in spite of the fact that my almost-ten-year-old granddaughter was a bit under the weather, we went to visit my daughter's workplace.  Cliff and Jim had taken the tour before, but Deb and I had not.  Wow, was I ever impressed!   (Click on any picture to make it larger.)


Here we are, all ready to enter the place.  When I think of photo-processing, I think back to the old One-hour Photo places, which of course are a thing of the past now that we're in the digital age.  You can't imagine the things they can do with a picture.    
They do work for professional photographers, and actually they have nothing in common with One-hour Photo.  Forget I even mentioned that.  


I believe this machine was putting photos together in a book.  See the trimmings in that drawer-like thing on the floor?  (Check out my daughter's comment on this entry for further explanation.)  
This is quite possible the cleanest place I've ever been, next to my sister's home.  Everything is shiny and white and spotless.  Rachel tells me that's a necessity, since the tiniest speck of dust can ruin a photo.  


Cliff and Jim liked seeing with how things worked there.  
I was simply amazed with all the things they can do with a photo.  
They can put a photo on a metal can, or on jewelry.  They can take your picture and make posters or calendars.  And a lot of these processes are not as expensive as you might think:  The reason for the reasonable prices is that they are wholesale, so    
Rachel had told Jim that she could have a picture of his prize car put on metal, and she wanted him to watch it done.  
This is the lady who did the job.  I won't try to explain how it was done.  Because honestly, I don't understand it.  (Again, check out my daughter's comment below.)  


I can tell you that it involved temperatures of 450 degrees... 


and that the end result was amazing.  
I could tell that this was a state-of-the-art company, ready to do whatever is necessary to keep up with the times; I'm glad to know my daughter has a job with such a high-class, cutting-edge company.  

5 comments:

  1. That booklet maker makes press-printed books...like the soft-cover school yearbooks that you see.

    The metal is done with dye sublimation. Image is placed backwards on transfer paper, and heat and pressure transfers the image onto the metal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was mostly impressed with the girl making the plate. No one dresses like this at my work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Donna! Enjoyed the insight into Rachel's workplace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:01 PM

    YES, THIS DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY IS AMAZING.
    E4SPECIALLY FOR THOSE WHOM LIVED DURING THE 'BOX CAMERA' DAYS.
    LIVE AND LEARN. sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was pretty neat!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!