Monday, June 14, 2010

By the way...

On this day in 1966, Cliff and I tied the knot.  We had the smallest wedding possible, with his mom and his brother's wife as our witnesses; the only other person in attendance was the preacher.  I've always loathed big weddings, so I was happy with the way we did it.  


We don't usually do much in the way of celebrating special days, but Cliff surprised me this morning by informing me he was taking me to Olive Garden.  Normally we have soup, salad, and breadsticks, but since I was in a celebratory mood, we had the artichoke-spinach dip as an appetizer and then split a "Tour of Italy".  After eating so much dip and the usual salad, I ended up bringing most of my half of the Tour of Italy home with me.  Supper tonight will be good.  I owe special thanks to my daughter, who first introduced me to Olive Garden several years ago.   Left to my own devices, I probably would never have gone there.


For dessert, we went by McDonald's and each got a small caramel frappe.  That's my newest guilty pleasure.  


Oh, I also went in Home Depot and got a few perennial flowers; I intend to start pulling up the strawberries that are planted in front of the house, and I'll be needing something to plant in their place.  Every time I look at my newest flowers, I'll remember that I bought them on my forty-fourth anniversary.  I hope they don't die... that could be a bad omen!

16 comments:

  1. I am with you on hating big weddings. Training my kid not to wish for one. Congrats on the anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! I'm glad you got to go out and celebrate! It is something that is very special for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for getting married! If you hadn't, my life wouldn't have been the same. Wait, strike that. My life wouldn't have been. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. COngratulations and Happy Anniversary!! Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you and Ciff a very happy anniversary but it sounds like you've already had it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary from Hyper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're blessed to have a loving husband and a good marriage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:39 PM

    Happy Anniversary...and if I had it to do over...wedding that is...it would probably been smaller than yours LOLOL..but at the time...family...frieds..etc etc etc...and no your flowers won't die...cause they are being planted with love...God Bless you both with many more years of happiness...hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY and many more. What a nice surprise. Sounds like you had a great day and a wondeful meal. We like Olive Garden too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary! I like low key also. Our wedding was smallish and inexpensive, so we keep our anniversary celebrations the same. (our last one was our 25th though and that one was pretty splashy for us)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary to you both! I'm right there with you on big weddings.

    Most people are still paying for their wedding when they're getting divorced 5 years later anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary to you and Cliff. We just hit our 43rd. Will the 4 of us see our 50th? And I am so happy to hear you say "Supper" instead of "dinner."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary... I wished you one on Facebook, but wanted to add it here too :)

    Small weddings are the best. G and I got married under the 'wedding oak' at the local Gardens. It was just us, the preacher and two people who happened to be at the Gardens and volunteered to be our witnesses ;) Since most of our friends were working and all of our family are out of state we decided to let the Universe provide our witnesses!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Anniversary sounded like a good day. I love all your new flowers. I have a hydranga that my daughter gave me that some color. I love the big blossoms on it this year since it didn't bloom the last two years . I put some lime around it this spring hoping it would help. I suppose it did. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  15. A good way to "celebrate" such a milestone event in your lives. Many happy returns of the day.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!