Sunday, June 20, 2010

I heard unfamiliar music, and yet so familiar...

On our way home in the downpour yesterday, we stopped by a Mennonite store; a sign about a cheese sale caught our attention on the way to the tractor show, but we knew cheese would likely melt in the hot car while we looked at antique tractors, so we stopped in afterward.  


We were just going to buy a chunk of cheese to take home and then go to a Mexican place to eat lunch.  However, Cliff's eye fell on an old-fashioned stick of bologna, and he asked the lady for two slices.  And also asked her to slice three pieces of cheese off our block.  Hmmm, I thought to myself, sounds like he plans to eat in the car.  


A loaf of cheddar cheese bread made our purchase complete; I wasn't sure yet what Cliff's plan was, so I didn't mention that the bread wasn't sliced.  


We ended up tearing hunks of bread off and eating it with bologna and cheese, in the car.  I still prefer Oscar Mayer bologna to the old-fashioned kind.  I also prefer Mexican food to any sort of bologna, but I digress.  


The Mennonite lady had some music playing that is still haunting me, obviously hymns, but none of them familiar, sung by women.  Such words I could make out were very comforting.  It was the folksy type of music I love, sung a cappella.  I was raised in a church with a cappella singing.  


I wanted to ask the lady if she had any CDs of the music for sale, but for some reason I didn't.  I commented to her that I thought it was good music she had playing, and she replied with a smile, "Well, I like it."  


I found some Mennonite and Amish music for sale online, but I'd really like to have those particular songs I heard playing softly in the background at the store.  We pass by there often; maybe next time I'll ask about them.

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard Mennonite music and wonder if it was like Irish folk songs. I bet that was interesting. Oh well, for the Mexican restaurant. Come visit us. We have FIVE mexican restaurants in our little town. FIVE!! lol And they are all busy all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:43 PM

    Well, you've got me intrigued about that music. Call the store and ask! Glad you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Donna, do stop and ask the next time you're there. Btw, Lehmans was only about 30 minutes from my country home back in Ohio (which, as you know, I miss with all my entire being).
    Blessings,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!