Sunday, June 13, 2010

I had the best grandma EVER!



My Grandma Stevens never had a driver's license, so when I spent a few days with her in the summer, we didn't go anyplace.  Unless, of course, my Uncle Leo and his family went grocery shopping; in which case they took Grandma and me along.  


My grandma never went out of her way to entertain me.  She stayed busy canning and cooking and crocheting and quilting.  Oh yes, while she was doing all these things, she gladly played word games with me.  But that was the extent of my "entertainment".  


I was happy to sleep in the feather bed she provided; indeed, I counted it a privilege.  She didn't have a television; I went to sleep listening to whippoorwills calling... one of the most satisfying sounds on earth.  


Grandma allowed me to roam in the woods and fields around her place.  One time I saw a family of quails there and felt as though I was walking on holy ground.   


I could walk the short distance down the road to Zion Church, and since the doors were never locked, I was able to go inside and "play church".  


I used to wade in Big Creek, across the road from Grandma's house; one time, getting out of the water I found leeches on my legs and  ran to Grandma's house hollering.  She held matches to the pesky critters until they turned loose.  


I truly feel sorry for children these days who don't have grandmas like mine, grandmas who let them discover the world on their own.  Seems like children these days need to have money spent on them in order to be happy.  Whatever happened to using one's imagination?  


I felt so safe and sheltered in Grandma's house; I'd love to go there one more time.  I want to wade in Big Creek and walk up the road to Uncle Leo's place to play with my cousins, and chase fireflies, and watch them milk the cows, and eat home-made ice cream.    Dang, I miss those carefree days.  
  
Iris Dement said it best:  


I'm walkin' home tonight
The streets are glowing 'neath the pale moonlight
I look around, there's not a soul in sight
and I'm walkin' home
Once again I hear my mother's voice
and all us kids making a bunch of noise
If I'm not careful I might start to cry
Just walkin' home tonight

I turn my head and hear the screen door slam
and there he is, that tall and dark-haired man
He looks my way but all alone he stands
and I am walkin' home
He's my Dad, you know I was his girl
He taught me all he knew about this world
and then he traveled right on out of sight
and I'm just walkin' home tonight

I'm walkin' home tonight
The streets are glowing 'neath the pale moonlight
I look around, there's not a soul in sight
and I am walkin' home

Old worn-out couches and a bunch of kids
Four to a bedroom and all Mom's plates were chipped
but I never knew about the things I missed
and I'm walkin' home
You see, it's just the place where I come from
and, good or bad, it's where the deal was done
Mom and Dad, their daughters and their sons
and I'm just walkin' home tonight

I'm walkin' home tonight
The streets are glowing 'neath the pale moonlight
I look around, there's not a soul in sight
and I'm walkin' home
Once again I hear my mother's voice
and all us kids making a bunch of noise
If I'm not careful I might start to cry



Just walkin' home tonight

7 comments:

  1. I LOVED this post! And come spend a day with me and the grandboys. We'll show you that imagination is alive and healthy at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful thoughts of your grandmother. The song fit in just perfectly with your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:29 AM

    Donna, this brings tears to my eyes. I had a Grandma like that,too. And my uncle Homer lived down the road. And I could walk and play with my cousins. My grandma didn't have a tv either. I remember falling asleep to the whipperwills, also. Thanks, for bringing back those memories. I am going to work in my garden now, in honor of my grandparents. Fondly, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Grandma sounds exactly like mine was. I sure miss her. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindie11:41 AM

    Since I am in your generation I had 2 wonderful grandmothers. One was in Michigan. I loved her farm. We got to play under the huge weeping willow with our dolls and also jump with the rope from her hayloft. We got to go round up the cows and pick the grapes and garden items. Then, we had our Nana in Ontario. When I was little i always said I wanted to grow up and be a Nana. My sister and i would shadow her when we visited. Her rhubarb sauce was so good! Their garden was wonderful. And my sister and I got to take turns sleeping in the feather bed on the 2nd story porch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:44 PM

    GREAT ENTRY.
    ONLY ONE GRANDMOTHER.
    MY MOTHER WAS THE YOUNGEST.

    THE 'CHILLERN'S PAW' AS GRANMA SPOKE OF HIM, WAS NOT THERE AND MOTHER'S OLDER SIBLINGS MADE THE 'LIVING.
    NOW THIS WAS BEFORE OUR WORK SAVING INVENTIONS OF TODAY.

    MANY PLEASANT HOURS WERE SPENT WITH GRANMA WHILE SHE VISITED, AND MOVED ON TO VISIT OTHER OF HER SEVERAL CHILDREN. sam

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!