Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Grassy garden

It's hard to tell where the lawn stops and the garden starts, isn't it?  When it rains every day, or at best, every other day, the grass grows and there's not much you can do with it.  That lettuce, by the way, is ready to be pulled up.  On the right you see peas, and they'll soon be done too.  Next to them are the beets, and I am anxiously awaiting the time when I can once again make borscht.   The next row is a pitiful mix of broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage.  And on the right, potatoes.  


The garden would actually be a miserable failure if it weren't for the reliability of green beans and potatoes, plants I have always been able to depend on.  


The tomatoes are looking good, but I'm always afraid to hope for much because of blight.  I had good success last year; blight didn't kill my plants until late summer.  I still have a few quarts of canned tomatoes left, and those should last until these plants start producing.  This year I am spraying the plants with fungicide in hopes of keeping blight at bay.  In the back, to the left of the tomatoes, is my single zucchini plant.  I won't be making zucchini bread or cake:  Why take something healthy and make it unhealthy?  


So, that's how my pathetic garden is doing.    

7 comments:

  1. My garden looks a lot like yours except, my garden has water standing in it too. lol. I'll need a boat to pick tomatoes. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garden is awesome,if I ever have a backyard, I will definitely plant one instead of trying to grow grass. Now I want borscht.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:05 AM

    Donna, that actually looks good. I have tomatoes, peppers and basil this year. I still have one or two pints of tomatoes from last year also. (in the freezer) Potatoes hmmm?????never tried them. Maybe next year?? Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good to me. Hopefully it will soon dry where the middles can be cleaned out. Way to go on those tomato middles. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindie9:12 AM

    I loved growing potatoes and peas when I lived in the country! Been meaning to ask, why did you pull up all your strawberry plants? Aren't they perennial? I am hoping my upside down heirloom tomatoes do well this year. And I have lots of Roma and grape tomatoes on my container plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindie, there are other strawberry plants in my garden that I left, but where I had them in front of the house, there's no place left for them to spread; runners were going over the sidewalk and on the gravel... it was a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your veggies are healthy even though its grassy. I know we can't control the weeds specially with a lot of rains but I can see you had successfully kept the grass out of your tomatoes by mulching. You can do that also with your veggies on the first pic.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!