Thursday, June 03, 2010

My day



I've been putting quarters in a pint jar for over four years; it's almost full, and this morning I decided to see just how much money I had in there.  


  It came to $59.50.  I went scrounging through Cliff's pocket change figuring maybe I'd find a couple more quarters and have an even $60; alas, there was only one quarter there, so I let him keep it.  Maybe I'll switch to a quart jar and keep on saving.  Or not.  
We went on a motorcycle ride today.  Cliff said to get our hobo lunch ready:  He was going to stop by the John Deere dealer in Richmond, then go on to Excelsior Springs to Scott's Bargain Barn.  
He's been looking at zero-turn mowers lately, and I suggested while we were at the John Deere Dealer, we should price some of theirs.  He was ignoring my suggestion, so I went back inside all by myself and made the request.  By the time someone got around to helping me, Cliff realized I had disappeared and joined me. We got the low-down on John Deere zero-turn mowers and headed on to Excelsior Springs.  
I really do not enjoy Scot's Bargain Barn; it's dusty and dirty, and they sell a lot of stuff I'd classify as junk.  Up toward the cash register they have candy bars on sale for a quarter; now you'd have to pay me to eat one of them; Lord only knows how old they are!
  
Cliff had planned on us eating our picnic in Excelsior Springs, but it was only 11 o'clock when we came out of Scott's.  I suggested we head home and stop at the park in Lexington, which is less that ten miles from our house.  It was an enjoyable stop, and at least we were eating at 11:30 instead of 11.  Our picnic table overlooked a lake, and we watched families of geese swimming to our end; once there, they got out and grazed awhile.  




They were soon followed by a smaller family with younger babies.




On our way out of the park, we saw this large group of marchers; I think they were too young to be actual military folks.  Wentworth Military Academy is in Lexington, so perhaps they came from there.  At least the weather wasn't quite as hot today, so their marching probably wasn't too miserable. 

I drank my Mexican Coke this afternoon, and it is definitely better than regular Coke.  Cliff, who only likes artificially-sweetened pop as a general rule, agreed it was better and tasted like Coke tasted in the old days.


And I believe that's all the news that's fit to print from around my place.  

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day! I have saw the Mexican cokes, but havent tried them. Now I will have to as the old coke was the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... Donna posted geese pix... our little brood over at the lake is down by one... now stands at six.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen Mexican coke around here but will keep an eye out for it. The picture of the geese and their babes is precious. I used to see them like that on my way to work and more than once stopped to let them pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The marchers... I mean the "trail" of geese are definitely a pleasant thing to observe.

    A wonderful day out on a bike. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:23 AM

    I haven't seen "mexican coke" here...but will check it out...sounds interesting..your pictures were so nice...glad you had a good day for bike ride and picnic...God Bless...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  6. So did you spend your $59.50? Go on..... you know you want to.........and you will in the end so it might as well be now. I mean, look at it this way: it won't go far as a down payment on a mower will it?

    Did the Hubster really only have one quarter? I don't know how much that is in English money but it doesn't sound much. Do the generous thing: give him your spare 50c and if he's too proud to accept the money buy him a Mexican coke!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back in 1992 when a beloved aunt of mine died and I was helping her husband prepare his house for selling, I moved a big vanity in the master bedroom to clean behind it. I found a tin box full of REAL silver coins...dimes, quarters, nickels. Not one of them dated over 1963, the year my Dear Hubby's grandma died. We figured it must've been her stash that no one knew about...the home had been in the family a LONG time. Our uncle gave the box to me and I still have the old coins. I should take them in and get them appraised. Some date back quite a ways. Maybe I have $59.50 there, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!