Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Family time

I cooked a LOT yesterday.  I even took time to pick a quart of cherries and make a pie, something I had not planned on doing.  I made meat loaf, using four-and-a-half pounds of ground beef; I'm trying to use the ground beef from the steer, Meat Loaf, and make room for Sir Loin in the freezer.  
All my grandchildren except my daughter's son, who works evenings, were here for supper.  So was my sister.  Because we don't all see my sister often, it was a special time.
  
That's my son, his daughter Amber, my sister, and my daughter's Natalie catching up on family news.  One of my sister's grandsons is soon going to be married in Hawaii, and she'll be attending.  And spending a whole week in Hawaii!
  
All eyes were focused on the great-granddaughter, Kammi.  That child is a world of entertainment all by herself (that's the back of her head in the lower left-hand area).  


And she's beautiful.


She loves my home-made peanut butter cookies.  Of course, she's never seen a cookie she didn't like.


And nothing goes better with cookies than a cold drink of milk.


My sister and I posed for a picture as she was leaving.


And then she got in her big white car and drove away.


And granddaughter Lyndsay took a turn driving the John Deere.  


Great day indeed.


Oh, and I have used the hand egg beater that a reader sent me at least four times daily since my guests arrived.  Thanks, Vicki! 

11 comments:

  1. Isn't it a grand feeling having your family all around you! I'm so happy for you! I know what it is like to make a 4 lb meatloaf and do miss those days. Now I make 1 lb and it is way too much. Next year I'm hoping my whole family can be together...we'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:18 PM

    I am so happy you have had your family with you. It is great when the bring special skills and help out with the work.

    Question: will you tan Sir Loins skin? He is a pretty creature.

    sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, we won't be keeping Sir Loin's skin. The butcher shop sells all their hides for leather, so who knows... one of my readers may someday be wearing shoes or a leather jacket made from Sir Loin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nerves051:46 PM

    That baby is beautiful and she's growing like a weed.

    Wow they grow fast.
    I'm glad you guys are having fun and it's always good to eat good food. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great family and family pictures. Glad that you all could get together minus one grandson. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. does your sister also live in the country?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, Meesha. Once she married, my sister became a town, and then a city, lady. She lives in Kansas City North. She is 83, and is now considering moving out to Kansas to the town where her son lives. She is the classiest lady you would ever want to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it's hard to get one of those hand mixers these days. It's all I had in the 70's and my goodness wasn't it just hard work! I got rid as soon as my first electric one hove in view but, you know, sometimes I wish I had it still.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great-grand is an absolute doll-baby. Your sister? I thought you've said you're an only child but maybe I'm mistaken???

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kris, my dad's first wife died in childbirth, leaving him with a two-year-old daughter and an infant son. He and my mom married in 1932 and I was born in 1944. My brother had already left home, and my sister married when I was two. After that, for all intents and purposes, I was an only child. No other children in the household. And I was the only child my mom gave birth to that lived.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!