Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Diary of a bad garden year

Let's start with the worst case.
This is my one zucchini plant.  I only plant one because that would be plenty for us, and because I know the squash bugs will kill it anyhow.  As you can see, in spite of my vigilant spraying and egg-and-bug destroying, it's dead.  Every year I try and fail at raising zucchini while others complain about how they have so many zucchinis they can't give them all away.  I'd love to hook up with one of those complainers.  Oh well, on to the next tragedy.


These are my potato vines, obviously dying.  In this case, I'm pretty sure I know what's wrong:  I unthinkingly planted potatoes where last years tomatoes were, and the same blight that kills tomatoes kills potatoes too.  I knew this, but ignored that knowledge.  Oh well.  


Okra, eggplant, green beans and corn are doing fairly well.  Does okra ever NOT do well?  My first planting only gave me four plants; but the seeds I planted in the bare areas made up for that.  I don't know what I'll do with all the produce of four eggplants.  One was more than enough last year.   Know anybody who would like to trade zucchini for eggplant?


Tomatoes and peppers are looking good, but of course my old enemy, blight, hides at the bottom of most of the tomatoes; blight can affect the pepper crop too, but usually isn't a problem with them unless you continually plant them in the same spot.  
I told Cliff the other day I was going to move my tomatoes to an entirely different location next year to get them away from the blight, and he suggested we move the whole garden.  At the time I said no to that plan, but the more I think about it, the more I think that's exactly what we'll do.  That will leave only the strawberry patch in the old location and give fresh soil to everything else.  
There is no plan that will provide me with zucchini, but I know from past experience that I'll get some tomatoes and potatoes out of the deal.  




At least I have pretty flowers to enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. Lindie8:44 AM

    Since I just have a container garden I don't think I will have problems with blight. I actually planted zuchini and crookneck seeds 2 weeks ago on an impulse. They are doing well. I have my cucumbers in a big bucket and am training them up an old tree. Lots of flowers but nothing started yet. Lots of peppers and tomatoes growing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you did have a bumper crop of strawberries so I guess they love the spot they are in. And your flowers are beautiful. I haven't raised a garden in years and just enjoy my fresh produce from the roadside stands and farmers markets. Much easier that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our incredibly dry weather halted much of our garden's production. But with the rains we are getting out of Alex, hubby is looking with an eye towards a fall garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:57 AM

    Mo, just enjoy your stories and garden. Wish I could grow stuff, but alas, I have a brown thumb. The family green thumb went when dad and gramma died. I can grow really nice weeds though!!
    Enjoy and eat with gusto!!
    Anjel

    ReplyDelete
  5. your garden is beautiful. sorry your squash didn't make it. i always thought you had to plant 2 squash in the garden so that's what i do and i have way to much. maybe next year just one will be planted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Slice thick slices of eggplant, brush with a bit of olive oil, and throw them on the grill. Better yet, wait until we're there and have Kevin do it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!