Wednesday, September 30, 2009

FAITH AND HOPE

I recently ordered some iris bulbs from a seed catalogue. I have plenty of iris that I set out a year ago, although none of them bloomed this spring. I know I didn’t put them too deep, so I assume it just takes them awhile to feel at home in a new place and bloom.

The reason I ordered more iris is that these are supposed to be red, and I’ve never seen a red iris. Curiosity got the best of me.

red_iris

It occurred to me that when I’m planting perennials, I’m exhibiting faith… faith that I’ll be here to see them bloom next spring. Evidently I’m not subconsciously expecting some awful illness or accident to remove me from the scene.

I’ve also planted several re-blooming day lilies, but they’ve shown me a few blooms already this year. Some flowers just don’t demand as much faith as others.

IMG_3766

I’ve been watching the Autumn Blaze maple trees closely to see if their leaves turn as gloriously red as I’ve been told they will. These are fast-growing trees, up to four feet per year. However, it takes a large measure of faith at my age (65), to believe it’s worthwhile planting young trees for shade.

hawthorn

I have two of these Washington Hawthorn trees. Forget about faith; Hope planted these. I just hope I get to see them bloom someday. But if not, perhaps somebody else will enjoy them after I’m gone. If nothing else, the birds will enjoy the fruits.

3 comments:

  1. They do say people are nearer to God in a garden than any place else on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been where you are at about planting and waiting. Faith & Hope is a good thing to have when it comes to a garden too!
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindie5:52 PM

    I never thought about it but I guess Faith and hope do have a lot to do with gardening. I have planted flowers, bushes and trees all over the US and thought that someone would enjoy them if I didn't.

    ReplyDelete