Monday, February 18, 2008

Stuff my mother saved

Once again I've been going through the treasures my mom left behind, things she kept from long ago that brought back good memories. Times were so much simpler then, when my mom was courting. She'd save the strangest things, obviously to keep certain "romantic" memories alive. These are all from before she was married in 1932. Be sure to click on any of the pictures to make them larger.

When boys bought her a candy bar, she saved the wrappers.


In case you can't make out the faded writing on the envelope, she and Everett (whom she later married) and Bill (who later married my dad's only sister) made a bet about which of them weighed the most. The winner (the heaviest) got a candy bar. Mother won. Bill also got her an ice cream cone. Hmmm, I wonder why she was the heaviest?

What it says on this envelope: "Everett and Raymond went to Ridgeway the day we were quarantined at Virgils & brought me a candy bar. This is the wrapper.

Wow! Raymond, the last of the big-time spenders, bought my mom a whole pack of gum. Raymond, by the way, was my dad's brother.

All that's left of the cigarette is the paper, as you can see. Oh, but there was a match in this envelope too, with a different note on the inside of the envelope flap:

I can picture a lot of horseplay going on that evening, can't you?

I hope you folks get the same sort of chuckle I did, looking at these things and reading between the hastily-jotted lines.

3 comments:

  1. What wonderful old momentos from your Mom! Wish I weighed 147! lol! Don't you just love going through those things?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool that she didn't just keep these things but also made notes why she saved them. I have tons of pictures of people whose name I don't remember,I should have at least wrote them down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Grandma had boxes of stuff like this that we had to go through when she died. She also taped a note to the bottom of every piece of furniture and what not telling when and where she got it and who gave it to her. That actually can come in handy in some situations.

    Ah, simpler times indeed. Lovely mementos, Donna.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!