Monday, February 11, 2008

I'm back from Texas

I think I'd love being a Winter Texan!

I came home from Texas with a bulging suitcase. It was all I could do to lift it above my head to put it into the luggage compartment of the plane. (Notice the "over-the-hill-crossing" sign I brought home?)

This is why. Yes, of course I could buy grapefruit at the store. But they wouldn't be as juicy and sweet as the ones fresh-picked from my sister's tree.

This is the view from my sister's patio; she's in an over-55 retirement park with other "winter Texans".

That's the "clubhouse" where people in the park gather for all sorts of interesting activities: exercise classes, basic computer classes, jam sessions, bingo, card-playing, and swimming... and so many other things.

When I got home, it was 14°. Back in Texas, people were taking advantage of the swimming pool, and my sister had her air conditioning on in the evenings.

Oh, if you want to read about how I almost missed my entire trip to Texas, click HERE.

8 comments:

  1. oh yeah! now THAT is the way to live (or to retire!)

    I like Southern TX. We can drive 12hours and be at the gulf, why arent I doing it all the time?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you wish you were still there! I love the midwest. I am from Kansas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another state I have never been to. Jealous you got to enjoy the warm weather, it seems about 14 degrees here today, but I think it's a bit warmer (as it was 45 degrees yesterday---it's probably 25 or so).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well if there is going to be nice weather somewhere, it might as well be a vacation destination!

    Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to have you back,but most of all I'm glad you got to go...It's sounds like something I'd do. I think you should pass the grapefruit around.....ymmmmm good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a wonderful visit. The fruit looks so good. Isn't it too bad that it takes up so much room in your suitcase? I'm surprised that it wasn't juice by the time you got home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, what a mess - and I don't blame you for not using that travel company again. Glad you got it all worked out so you could go, though it was just in the nick of time!

    The grapefruit looks yummy. That's one thing I've always envied people who live in warmer climates, being able to grow citrus fruits year round and growing flowers and vegetables year round.

    Glad you're back safe, now put your long handles on and get back to reality. ;o)

    Hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:40 PM

    I'm salivating at the grapefruit. Every once in a while I'm lucky and I get a few passed on from Heather and Brian. Don't think that will happen this year!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!