Monday, February 04, 2008

a springlike day and a horseback ride

I went outside before eleven o'clock and discovered that spring had magically appeared, right here in early February; it was 70°. Cliff was working in the shop, doing something to make his pickup look good.

"Is there any reason we're not riding the motorcycle?" I asked.


"The ground is so soft, we'd never make it out of the driveway," he said. "But I'm driving to the bank pretty soon, and I'll see if it's as bad as I think it is."

Well, he did and it was, even though we have lots of brand new gravel on our driveway. So, I decided to ride my horse. He hasn't been getting much action this winter with the weather we've been having.

First I had to wade mud and manure to get to him.

Then I had to clean the dried mud off him. Why do horses enjoy rolling in mud?


Even though I felt plenty warm, I tied a coat on behind the saddle. Because it always feels colder riding a horse than you think it is, starting out.

I stood Blue out on the soft ground and got my mounting bucket in place. Standing on that bucket to get in the saddle takes a lot of stress off my aging knees.

You can see here how soft the ground is beside the highway.

I have to say, it was great to get out in the warm sunshine.

Farmer John's cattle were obviously enjoying the warmth of the sun, too.

A very young calf got up to have a better look at me.

When I got closer to the fence, moms and babies jumped up everywhere, stretching.

Then Blue wanted to say hello to Farmer John's horses.

They touch noses for a few seconds, then squeal like they're hurt. Horses are funny that way.

Tomorrow it's back to winter. Even with the mud, I'm glad for the brief respite.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:15 PM

    I'm SO overdue for a horseback ride! It's been 2 or 3 years since my sister and I last went riding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how nice it was today and then when Kelly went to work at 5:00 the news said it was 50 at KCI and moving on down and it has, now they are calling for Snow tomorrow!! I am glad you got out and was able to go horse back riding!
    I read your last post and boy all your food sound sooooo good!!
    We had Chilli and it was good too!
    I have a Valentine for you over at my blog!! Love and hugs Grams

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had a great ride. I bet Blue enjoyed getting out too.

    It was 82 degrees at my house today. Spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was nearly 80 degrees here today, and is still 67 degrees at almost 10 pm. Not good for this time of the year and we'll pay for it tomorrow with severe storms and tornadoes. Yippee! Not.

    Your ride looks like fun. Thanks for taking us along by sharing the pictures.

    Be safe tomorrow!

    Love and hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!