Monday, February 11, 2008

Seen in south Texas

There are many, many retirement parks in the area where my sister lives, and as I mentioned before, plenty of activities. What really piqued my interest, and an activity in which I'd definitely participate, are the jam sessions held at most of the parks. People who have some musical ability gather to play music together and take turns singing. Some are geared toward country music; some are the "big-band" sound. Here at home, my guitar sits unused for the most part; if I had someone with whom to jam... a few music sessions where I could join in... I'd be very likely to jump at the opportunity. I wouldn't feel intimidated, because these are people of average talent, for the most part, doing what they love. Nobody is expected to play or sing like a professional. Of course the people making the music are enjoying themselves. Likewise, the audience loves the free entertainment. If there's a space left open for a dance floor, couples will be dancing. It's just a very positive experience. I especially
enjoyed "the Whistling Drummer", and made the following video so I could share with my readers.


2 comments:

  1. Sounded you had a wonderful time in Texas. Everything is large there... the big portion of food is not easily forgettable.

    I remember I was in Austin Texas with Wifey and our Son for about 3 weeks on one of my business trips. It was a wonderful time. The first time we stepped onto American soil.

    We went to the Alamo, Capital Hill and San Antonio. It was great!

    We even met a few Malay families from Singapore who migrated over and spent the weekends driving around and went shopping.

    Fantastic time, very friendly people. Will never forget the opportunity given to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retirement parks are new to the UK, we call them retirement villages and I work for one of the leading companies. You know, we Brits just don't like to mix quite they way you Americans do, it's such a shame. Maybe in another 5 years we'll get closer to it. Thanks for sharing, it was good to pick up the little differences

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!