Friday, February 01, 2008

I've always loved cows

After Cliff and I bought our first place, a small house on twenty acres south of Oak Grove, my parents offered to sell us a milk cow. I'm not sure of her breed, although I'm guessing mostly Guernsey. Her name was Suzie. I had never been able to figure out how to get milk out of a cow, and when we bought her I told Cliff, "You'll have to milk her, because I can't."

Within two weeks, I was milking that cow and loving it. Suzie was a character, a real family pet. That's Cliff's sister sitting on her.

We visited the Missouri State Fair one year. Walking through the dairy barn, I noticed the most beautiful cows I'd ever seen in my life. Until then, I hadn't realized how tiny Jerseys can be, and of course these were groomed for show, all sleek and clean (and did I mention tiny?). I had to have one.

It was like eating potato chips: I couldn't stop at one! I'd call the ABS Breeder guy and he'd artificially inseminate my cows with registered Jersey semen, and before you knew it we had a half-dozen registered Jersey cows.

My dream was to have a dairy, but I never actually took the plunge into that enterprise. I may as well have; we were tied down to milking twice a day every day, 365 days a year.

I had several milk customers, people who preferred raw milk with thick cream rising to the top rather than store-bought, pasteurized-homogenized stuff. Still, I had quite a surplus. One Jersey can give six or more gallons a day.

We bought "bobby" calves and bottle-fed them. We bought pigs and fed them milk mixed with wheat shorts for slop. (That's the grandson who is now 22 years old; our clothes make a real fashion statement, don't they?)

I churned butter and made cottage cheese, and ice cream by the gallon, and we drank all the milk we could hold.

My herd expanded, then grew smaller, as it became difficult to find bobby calves to raise and as they became increasingly expensive.

I think it was around 1991 that I tearfully sold my last couple of dairy cows. We were free to go places then, and spend a night or a week away from home. I loved the freedom. I missed my Jerseys.

Last February, after all those cow-less years, I could stand it no longer. I bought a Jersey calf and named her Secret.


I'm hoping to find a way to get out of milking twice a day. I intend to let her calf stay with her; as it grows bigger, a calf can actually take all that milk without getting sick. There may be a month or two when I'll have to milk to relieve Secret's full udder. Cliff and I only use about a half-gallon of milk a week, so we certainly don't need to milk a cow.

I'll worry about it when the time comes; she won't even be old enough to breed until May.

Here's a self-portrait taken last summer.

Notice I'm not wearing shoes in any of these pictures? I've hated shoes all my life. Nowadays, though, thanks to plantar fasciitis and arthritic toes, I have to wear the dad-blamed things... with expensive prescription inserts added.

4 comments:

  1. Well, I can tell you this: I learned more about cows in this one entry than I learned ever before, I think. What a nice tale, complete with pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so pretty!! We had a Jersey when I was growing up and she gave plenty of milk and plenty left over for the neighbors that needed it. She was a sweet gentle cow and my Dad just loved her. She was his pet! You took me down memory lane with this post! LOVE the picture of you with the calf!! How sweet!

    I know what you mean about them dad-blamed shoes. Barefoot is great (except on gravel)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a barefoot girl myself. ;o)

    I love cows! I always wanted a milk cow but my Daddy balked at getting one. We got a spring steer calf every year and raised it to butcher in the Fall. Daddy would always tell us kids not to get attached to the calf but he was the one who left my brother in law to kill the calf while he made an excuse not to be around when Jerry did the deed.

    Is there anything sweeter than a calf? I love those long flirty eyelashes on 'em.

    I love this post, Donna. Like Rachel said, you sure did stir up some memories!

    Y'all have a great weekend, my friend. ;o)

    Love and hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:08 PM

    Hi,

    This comment is regarding your other blog...I'm unable to leave a comment on it.

    I had just bought the book, Anchored in Love, for my mother the weekend you posted about reading it. Not sure if you know about the Carter Family Fold....I live less than an hour away from it. We love to go...I thought you might want to check their website.... (you probably already know about it but just in case)

    www.carterfamilyfold.org.

    Also, if you'll just type in carter family fold at youtube, you can get several hits, including Johnny (he was so very ill and missing June so very very much) and I think there's one of June also.

    My mother and husband and I were there next to the last time Johnny was at the fold. John Carter and his wife were with him.

    And one more thing...the book, Will You Miss Me When I'm Gone, is EXCELLENT. Janette and Joe Carter both were still alive when it was written, and Janette gave her "stamp of approval" for the book. A fabulous play was written based on the book, and I know that Janette and family went to see it more than once AND they allowed it to be performed at the fold and Janette allowed the book to be sold at the fold so I know she had to approve. Janette's good friend said that Janette would cry like a baby every time she watched the performance...it's such a sad story. (Janette is A.P. and Sara's daughter, and her daughter and son , Rita and Dale, are continuing the fold since Janette's death last year.)

    (Okay, one more...then I'll hush. At one performance of the play that we went to see in Bristol, Dr.Ralph Stanley was in the audience. Well, there's a part in the play...actual two times, where the audience sings along with the characters...Church in the Wildwood is one of the times and Will the Circle Be Unbroken is the other one I think. I told everyone at work that I had been performing/singing with Ralph Stanley that weekend...lol!)

    Sorry for rambling but if you are interested in A.P. and Sara and Mother Maybelle , you just gotta check this out.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!