Wednesday, June 26, 2024

I'm a nature fanatic

I woke up at 2:30 A.M. hearing rain and wind beating on our trailer house, and rejoiced for my garden while wishing the wind would cease.  I tried to go back to sleep, but it's never easy these days, especially when I hear rain, because we get good rains so rarely.  As I always do when we've had rain overnight, I get excited knowing the garden plants will keep growing.  In fact, the reason I couldn't go back to sleep is that I wanted to know how much rain we had received.  I got out of bed at three, because the rain had slowed down a bit and the wind had settled, and I figured maybe I could go out to the rain gauge and check.

I made my coffee, sat down with my computer, and went to weather.com to see what today would be like: it actually looks as though we might get even more rain today.  Tomorrow is supposed to be cloudy; that's good news, because we've been having a heat wave.  Clouds will bring the temperatures down somewhat.

Around 4 A.M. the rain had settled down, so I put a coat on over my nightgown so the now-gentle rain wouldn't get me wet, grabbed the flashlight, and walked out to the rain gauge.  One and three-quarters inches, and still coming down!  On the way back, I pointed the flashlight toward the garden to see if there was wind damage, but everything looked all right.  If the corn and the sunflowers could stand up to the wind, then everything else should be OK.

I love nature:  Sunrises, full moons, pastures and wooded canyons.  One of my greatest blessings has been that my husband and I both like country living.  I could always have most any kind of animal I wanted, although Cliff and I didn't always agree on what animals we should have.  He liked having a place where he could fool around with tractors, and we didn't always agree on what tractors, or how many, he had.  

Living beyond the sidewalks as we have helped keep us broke all the time, but it's been worth it.  Out here, all my childhood dreams have come true.  

What a good life we've had.  I'm incredibly grateful.  Oh, and there's a steady rain still going.  Have I mentioned I love the sound of rain? 

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:54 AM

    I love rain and the country too (: Glad we won't need to drag watering cans and hoses around for a couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m like you when I hear rain at night. Unfortunately we were just on the north side of that rain and got only 0.09” of rain. 30 miles to the south there are flash flood warnings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:18 AM

    That is beautiful! I have loved living beyond the sidewalks as well. Yes, like you, there have been things we have not agreed on, but we have loved our life in the country. He has know nothing else; I have. I would choose it all over again, if I had to. Rebecca in MO. PS: It is raining here now as well. Maybe we will get an inch out of this same system as you did. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:42 AM

    Please send a little rain our way, if you have any extra to share. It's been many days since we've had rain. The temperatures have been horrible. Today it's suppose to get over a hundred degrees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:42 AM

      This is Carlene.

      Delete
    2. Wish I could. We are around the hundred mark every day too.

      Delete
  5. Noel Shepard11:11 AM

    We live in a n amazing world, this earth of ours is specifically created for our enjoyment. Evolution can not explain why all the bright colors we see everywhere. Those of who know the Creator, know He wants more for us than mere existence. He wants us to thrive by enjoying the world and people in it. He has given us his Word in writing and in the flesh, Jesus, to teach how avoid harm to ourselves or to others. Praise to our Lord. Noel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:36 AM

    We were blessed with rain too. Made me very happy. Your garden will live longer now! Galla Creek

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find the sound of rain at night comforting, especially now that I'm retired and don't have to go out in it. Wind is a different story since my fence has blown down in the past. I do love nature and being able to be outside every day. It's high 60s/low 70s here lately which is the ideal temperature for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suburban southwest Kansas City got 1 1/4" of rain last night. It's felt cold today, with the cooler air and lower humidty. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww... I'm so happy for you, Donna. We had some rain last night which also made me happy so I wouldn't have to water the plants this morning.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!