Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Getting ready for Fourth of July

Every year, our son travels here from Georgia for the 4th, usually staying for about a week.  Cliff and I have been doing some healthy eating lately, and it's been fairly successful.  Both of us have lost some pounds.  But when Jim comes to visit, it's tradition for me to see how much sugar and how many starches I can possibly use in five days.  Throw in plenty of bacon, sausage, and other kinds of pork, add 14 pounds of fatty beef, and its a wonder that somebody around here doesn't have a heart attack or a stroke every July!

I only hope Cliff and I can do a little portion control for the week of the 4th.  We have good intentions, but we'll see. I wanted to get our usual brisket, and at first I thought of Walmart.  But then Cliff reminded me that Costco had some the last time we were there.

My Costco membership is free because a friend from my very last job works there; she and her husband have a Costco membership that gives them a couple of cards for family or friends, and she gave me one of those.  It's 25 miles from our house to Costco, so we don't go often.  I messaged my friend and asked her how much their brisket was. she immediately messaged back.  It's the same price as Walmart.  I have been around long enough to know that if Costco and Walmart have something at the same price, you'd be a fool not to head to Costco.

But before we went I did some Googling and found this video;  no need to watch all of it, just take it from me that Costco won.

 

Now, I'm not going to be smoking my brisket:  I'll cook it in the oven, cooling it down, cutting it in slices.  Then I'll pour some tasty juices and barbecue sauce over it, and put it in the freezer.  One day of the week our son is here, I'll thaw it and we'll have brisket sandwiches the next day.  Another day we'll have tenderloin sandwiches.  There won't be a lot of work or standing up for hours with my bad knees, that way.  I am always expected to make Rice-and-Raisins (similar to rice pudding, but no eggs are involved), and I make cinnamon rolls at least once while our son, his wife, and their youngest grandchild are here.  I'm going to do as much as I can ahead of time.

We will definitely have potatoes, onions, and green beans from the garden.  If blight doesn't totally take over, there will be tomatoes.  Cliff and I are eating pickled beets every day with dinner, but most of our company won't go near beets.  We bought bacon at Costco today, four pounds for $16.99.  As we were heading for checkout, we got one of their huge $5 cooked chickens to go with our green beans and potatoes when we got home.  It was still nicely warm after our thirty minute ride home.

Now, on another front:  just in case any of my readers know someone who has dandruff, I googled up the perfect cure a while back.  Cliff said Head and Shoulders wasn't working for him any more, so I found a product that claimed to be the best thing for dandruff:  It's called Nizoral,  and Cliff has NO dandruff now.  It is pretty costly for a shampoo at $28 for 14 ounces, but Cliff said he doesn't have to use very much, and it does work wonders.  Some things are worth paying a higher price for!     

And now, it's almost time for the two of us to go get haircuts.

Peace.

6 comments:

  1. I have used Neutrogena T/Gel for many decades for dandruff and it works really well. I only need to use it once a week and then use regular stuff for the rest of the time. But I'm pretty sure it is as expensive or perhaps a little more so than Nizoral. Head and Shoulders never worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:02 PM

    Food is comfort. I eat all day. Iknow it’s not a good habit. 🤣Galla Creek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tip, Donna. Sheesh! We need haircuts over here too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a kid, our go to Dandruff cure was Listerine. The bottle even was labeled for that. I have always wondered when that was removed and why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you think it would work for itchy scalp or is it just for dandruff? My mom is having a terrible time with that. Food is celebratory so a balance between healthy/non-healthy stuff is probably the best you can do. I love Costco although I rarely go. It's only about 10 minutes away from my house and a local company.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't have a Costco anywhere close. The nearest one is a 2 1/2 hour drive away.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!