Thursday, June 20, 2024

We are getting plenty of food from the garden

 I have only grown cantaloupe once, back when my kids were in grade school.  It was a roaring success.  I gave away a lot of them, and even peeled and cut some of them up to put in the freezer.  I don't know where I found out I could do that, because there wasn't Internet back then.  Maybe I read about it in The Mother Earth News, which was a much more interesting magazine in the sixties and seventies than it is now.  Lots of the articles were written by hippies in communes.  Anyway, as long as we didn't let the cut-up muskmelons totally thaw after they left the freezer, they were delicious.  By the way, I never hear anybody call them muskmelons any more; as a child, that's all I ever heard them called.  

OK, I've just now learned there IS a difference.  All cantaloupes are muskmelons, but not all muskmelons are cantaloupes: 

"There are several different varieties of muskmelon, and cantaloupe is one of them. Muskmelons have sweet, juicy flesh that can be yellow, orange, white, or green. Cantaloupes have orange flesh and a rind with a rough, netlike pattern. Honeydew is another popular variety of muskmelon."

This morning I dug the Yukon Gold potatoes I planted early on, since the blight that potatoes get have left the leaves brown and dead and they wouldn't grow any bigger.  I only had a few planted, so I didn't have to work hard digging.  I came inside with a little over ten pounds of taters!  The heat is brutal outside by mid-morning, and I was thankful to get in with the A/C.  

I went on a web search to see what Google says about freezing cantaloupe these days, and learned there are more uses for freezing it than there used to be:

How To Freeze Cantaloupe Or Watermelon (For Smoothies And Drinks)

-Cut a cantaloupe or watermelon into 1 inch chunks.

-Place the cantaloupe pieces on a lined baking tray (use parchment, plastic wrap, or wax paper).

-Place the tray into the freezer to quick freeze the cantaloupe.

-After pieces freeze solid, pack them into freezer bags or containers.

-To remove air from bags, try using a straw or vacuum sealer.

-Frozen cantaloupe is a terrific addition to iced teas or mineral water and creates flavorful smoothies and sorbet. You can also blend it to create traditional or virgin daiquiris or margaritas.

I -For best quality, eat frozen cantaloupe and watermelon within 9 to 12 months


I thought I left enough space for those cantaloupe vines to grow, but they are trying to take over the tomatoes on one side and red onions on the other.  That's a cabbage on this side of the vines.

And look at that almost ripe tomato!  We'll be eating BLT's any day now.


14 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful garden. I think your muskie-melons like onions! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I have always used muskmelon instead of cantaloupe but do say honeydew. We raised some a couple years ago and grew quite a few but they were small stunted things compared to the ones you see in the grocery stores. Around here, Muscatine is known for their melons, both the muskmelon and watermelon types. They grow them along the Mississippi river where the soil has a fair amount of sand in it to drain well and the soil is quite deep. Our garden is almost the complete opposite of that which is why I suppose we can't grow them as big.

    We've been eating our Yukon golds as needed because all the plants are still healthy and green. But I suspect they will soon start turning brown. My tomatoes are about the size of golf balls. I still have a ways to go for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fan of frozen watermelon chunks. They taste like popsicles to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I can find a nice ripe melon... I will freeze some. Sounds great. The melons here in BS at the grocery stores are not great.. maybe at the farmer's mkt??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is another way to remove the air from your bags. Have a pot of water nearby. Bag your items, seal the bag except for a one inch gap at one side. Slip the bag down into the water, carefully, all the way down to the zip lock, leaving the side with the open gap out of the water. The water pressure will remove all the air. Simply zip the bag the rest of the way shut, pull out of the water and you should (if you sealed it properly) have a vacuum packed ziplock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I liked cantaloupe or any melon. They're so good for you but make me gag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither of my children ever liked them, even my daughter... and she never a picky eater. She also doesn't like bananas.

      Delete
  7. Wow, you have a lovely garden. Ours is nowhere near that big. My husband and I like cantaloupe but it bothers us both (acid reflux) so we don't eat it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live for the garden. I can't go for my walks in the wood any more, but I can still garden. Cliff very seldom does anything for the garden because we've found out we cannot get along if we both work in it. In fact, I don't want him out there.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous6:19 AM

    That tamato looks inviting! Galla Creek

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your lovely garden makes my efforts look sad! I have never frozen melons, but might give it a shot if my plants produce. My dogs love melons as much as I do. My green beans are finally giving me enough to cook, but that's it so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm eating green beans every day; I told my husband if he got tired of them he didn't have to eat them, but I'm going to have some every day. I am blessed to have all the room I want for a garden; this is a forty-acre place, and at least seven acres of that are level enough to garden on.

      Delete
  10. My dad said muskmelon, but I’m not sure if it was for cantaloupe or honeydew. The first time I had cantaloupe as a child., for breakfast, after spending the night with a friend, It made me want to gag. Lol. But I like it now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never thought of freezing watermelon. It's my husband's favorite fruit. I'll have to mention this to him.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!