Wednesday, June 12, 2024

some days aren't fun, and some days are crazy

Cliff has been having vertigo off and on ever since he got his second cochlear  implant, the one on his left ear.  Doctors had him go to therapy for it.  My daughter sometimes has vertigo, so I knew more or less what they would do.  I will tell you that we can't help but wonder if it's something about the implant in his left ear; a week after he got it, he got the worst kind of dizziness:  He couldn't walk on his own, and was dry heaving, so he let our grandson take him to the Emergency Room in Independence.  However, he did have this happen once a few years ago, so who knows.  But it was only once.

The first day he went to therapy, our granddaughter Monica drove us there (I don't drive and never have).  He came out of that session feeling a bit better.  He went to a second session a few days later, but he decided he couldn't afford paying our part of the price.  Our part was $30.  Now, this is a man that will spend 500 dollars on a rusty old tractor that he doesn't need, but he "can't afford" thirty bucks twice a week.  I handle our checking account; he doesn't even know how much money we have.  We didn't ever have a lot of money during our marriage, but with our Social Security, we are doing better than we ever did before we retired.

So he told those folks he couldn't afford them,  He was given a sheet showing him how to do the exercises at home, and he did them every day, once a day.  The dizziness came back.  He kept getting worse as time went along, and one spell lasted three days.  He really didn't think the therapy was going to help, but because I kept reminding him even when he was dizzy, he attempted the movements he was able to doHe looked at the papers with the exercises he was supposed to do, and noticed  he should have been doing it it five times a day, instead of once.   I called the office of the doctor who did the implant and his people said "go back to therapy".

I am the one who sees all our bills are paid, and I told Cliff we have plenty of money for him to do what the doctor said.  I told him that before, but you know how that goes.  His sister drove him to his session.  He told the therapist he had been trying to do his exercises, and was told by the therapist that was the worst thing he could have done, so that's on me.  

The therapist told him not to bend over the rest of the day, gave him some other advice and explained what was happening to him, and made him another appointment for next week; but he is not to do the exercises until he goes back.

Actually, he's doing well now.  But for three days, I was thinking he would have vertigo the rest of his life.  He's a big man... would I be able to help him to the bathroom all my life?  And you can't burn calories laying on the couch.

So we are both losing weight.

3 comments:

  1. Life is so complicated as we age. Wishing you the very best life possible. Galla Creek

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear this. But it seems as if the exercises should have had some disclaimer that they shouldn't be done if you were having the symptoms of vertigo. That's awful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had vertigo a couple times and it was depressing and debilitating. I couldn't do anything! I hope the therapy gets rid of it or makes it much rarer anyway.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!