Friday, June 14, 2024

I have never enjoyed big weddings

 I had attended a few weddings of varioius relatives, but I never could understand what all the falderah was about.  It seemed like a waste of money to me.

So when Cliff and I decided to get married, it was just us, plus Cliff's brother's wife and his mother for witnesses.  And of course, we needed somebody to marry us, so we chose the pastor of the church his brother attended.  It was June 14, 1966.  

At that time, girls had to be 18 and men had to be 21 in Missouri to marry, unless their parents signed for them.  I had heard Cliff's mother saying more than once that she had signed for two of her children to marry and would not sign for any more kids, because neither of those lasted more than a month or two.  I was 21, but Cliff was 20.  Three days before he was to turn 21, we went and got our license.

We were visiting his parents and told them we had the license.  His mom said, "What are you waiting for then?"

I said, "Well, I heard you say you weren't going to sign for any more of your kids to be married, so we're waiting for his birthday."

She replied, "Oh well, I'll sign for you-uns."

And that's why Cliff has three things to celebrate in a very short time in June:  An anniversary, then a birthday, and somewhere in there is Father's Day.

We had known one another approximately six months when we married.


10 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:03 AM

    Happy anniversary. My birthday too. I’m 74 today.Galla Creek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy birthday! You're just a young whippersnapper.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! What a great story of lasting love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your simple marriage was MUCH better than all the hoopla of the fancy weddings. My parents eloped and never regretted it.
    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I've told so many people, it should be more about the marriage and not the wedding. My wedding was relatively cheap although we had been together for five years when we married. It had gotten to the point where it was either marry or break up! Congratulations on your long and happy marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool story! Congrats! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:27 AM

    Donna, happy anniversary to you and Cliff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:10 AM

    Aw, happy belated Anniversary! That is a great story. I had never cared about a fancy wedding either. And at 36, when Gary and I finally tied the knot, I was just glad to have a simple ceremony with family and get it over with. Rebecca in SW MO

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really does amaze me sometimes. There are those people who throw themselves into relationships and everything is over the top. The love of my life! True Love! Roses! All things sweet and wonderful! And then they fizzle and burn out.

    But then there are practical people and I think that and Cliff are just that: practical and hardworking. You met, you knew, you endured. And that was that. Tim and I are like that, I guess. Not a lot of superlatives in our relationship, but we are two practical people in marriage that, for whatever reason, endures.

    I love your little story.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!