Tuesday, March 14, 2023

The Poisonwood Bible

I would never have chosen to read The Poisonwood Bible if I hadn't recently read Barbara Kingsolver's recent best-seller Demon Copperhead, loosely patterned on David Copperfield.  It was not only interesting, but it's a book that put me in the position of understanding people who weren't raised the same way I was, with an extended family that cared what I became and tried to steer me the right way... although I disappointed some of them, I'm sure.

That book wasn't an easy read, but I wanted more from that author; so, thinking I might have heard of the Poisonwood Bible before, I checked it out.  It's been banned at some time and place, although I really don't understand why, unless you think you're so insecure in your faith that reading about one mad preacher, or hearing about the beliefs of other people, will send you to hell.  This wasn't an easy read either, by any means.

It was written in 1998, but set in the 60's.  Thanks to some of the characters in the book, I learned a lot about the history of Africa.  It wasn't really such a terrible place until the whole world found out there were slaves for the taking and what seemed like endless gold to be had.  I finished the book this morning and did some googling to make sure the author had things right. 

I was raised on the Bible and knew about Egypt, but never realized until a few years ago that it was part of Africa.  Egyptians invented mathematics, geometry, surveying, metallurgy, astronomy, accounting, writing, paper, medicine, the ramp, the lever, the plough, mills for grinding grain and all the paraphernalia that goes with large organised societies.  

In the New Testament, I grew up reading and hearing about how one of the disciples, Phillip, was going on a mission:  On his way, he met an Ethiopian, an important official in charge of all the treasury of the Kandake (which means “queen of the Ethiopians”).  He was reading the writings of Isaiah as he traveled in his chariot.  

Those people were not unlearned, even 2,000 years ago.

And now I'm off to find a nice, normal who-done-it that won't make me think so much.  My brain needs something easier.  

5 comments:

  1. So, did you end up loving "Demon Copperhead" as much as I did? It was so painful yet beautiful to read. Kingsolver's voice for Demon was perfect. I haven't read "Poisonwood Bible" although I've been urged to by both daughters and my dad. Which book did you prefer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say I loved them both about the same. It was a little more difficult to keep up with Poisonwood because there were four people telling the story in different chapters and at different times.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:11 PM

    I have never heard of either book,,,and this is Margie of Margie's Musings...not Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favorites. I never knew though, that the Poisonwood Bible was banned. I went back to read why...and it all stems from a Christian being portrayed in a bad light. The same argument used to avoid teaching uncomfortable history in schools. Quite a silly reason for banning anything.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!