Friday, March 17, 2023

Hallelujah!

I have suspected for a long time that my dog's awful smell was caused by his anal glands, although I thought the groomers were expressing them every two months when he got his haircut.  If so, they haven't been doing something right.  Cliff and I would bathe him (because two bath-people are better than one), but the next day he would be smelly again.  Finally I called the vet's office and told his wife about the problem; she agreed that he probably needed to have his anal glands expressed.

Today was the day.  The vet's helper took my leashed dog back where nobody would have to smell it, and five minutes later I was paying my $20 and walking out the door with Gabe.  The guy asked whether the groomers had been doing this; I told him I thought they were supposed to, and he said, "Next time you might remind them about it, because he had a LOT."

Just a note:  Please don't tell me I should learn to express the glands myself.  Yuck.

Once we got home, we could hardly wait to bathe the dog.  Cliff had been refusing to let him lay on his lap or even next to him, because he didn't want the stink on his clothes.  But now...


 I guess Gabe is making up now for all the lost time with my husband.  By the way, it's no accident that I cut Cliff's head off in this picture.  He's sound asleep, and his mouth is wide open, which isn't his best look; so I spared him the embarrassment.  

You're welcome, dear husband.

9 comments:

  1. So, he smells better now? I'm now glad I have a cat who doesn't require that procedure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many dogs don't require it. This is the first one I've had that needed it done, and I've had lots of dogs.

      Delete
  2. I've had a lot of dogs over the years and have never heard of expressing anal glands. I wonder if it is breed specific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've always had outside dogs; you probably wouldn't notice the smell on them. Trust me, it's an awful stink to have in your house.

      Delete
    2. I did some searching on the Internet and found out certain breeds are more likely to have this problem, although any dog can have a problem with it.

      Delete
  3. That may be Phinnie’s problem. He sticks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth $20 to me to get rid of the smell. I had to do something, or the whole house would smell forever. Some dogs have to be expressed regularly; I hope Gabe is not one of those dogs!

      Delete
  4. At least the glands weren't infected, which the vet puts in an antibiotic cream. Didn't know that expressing the glands was a groomer task. Glad you didn't really cut your hubby's head off! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had only one dog that had to be expressed and it was a dachshund, in his older years. None of the rest of them have ever had that particular problem. I hope I didn't just set myself up for yet another problem with my Eddie! If I paid for a groomer, I would expect full service, though!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!