Friday, March 24, 2023

And "sow" it goes

Sowing seeds, that is.  Cliff got the tiller out for me on this windy, cloudy, 46° day so I could plant two rows of peas and one of radishes.  We've been getting rain about every  other day, but I don't think any one day has amounted to more than 1/4 inch, so I was able to till.  It wasn't ideal, but it worked.

 


I've already mentioned the fire my husband started in the dead leaves at the foot of my garden fence.  It isn't looking good for my strawberry plants.





However, there are living plants all around the edges of the patch, so at least I may have enough plants to start a new strawberry bed for next year.

I need to go somewhere and get some seed potatoes, since I like to plant them on Good Friday.  They're saying rain is likely tonight, perhaps half an inch.  I'll take it.

I finished this entry  yesterday, but I realized I didn't mention what it took to get me out on a damp, drizzly day to plant seeds in the soft, cold ground.  It was my daily Bible reading on March 22; the one-year Bible gives me something from the Old Testament, New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs.  The latter half of Psalm 65 gave me garden fever that increased over the next couple of days until I could wait no longer!

FROM PSALM 65

The whole earth is filled with awe at your wonders;
    where morning dawns, where evening fades,
    you call forth songs of joy.

You care for the land and water it;
    you enrich it abundantly.
The streams of God are filled with water
    to provide the people with grain,
    for so you have ordained it.
10 You drench its furrows and level its ridges;
    you soften it with showers and bless its crops.
11 You crown the year with your bounty,
    and your carts overflow with abundance.
12 The grasslands of the wilderness overflow;
    the hills are clothed with gladness.
13 The meadows are covered with flocks
    and the valleys are mantled with grain;
    they shout for joy and sing.

6 comments:

  1. That's WAY more work in the yard/flowerbeds than I've done so far. I need to get off my rear end when the weather is decent. Today isn't that day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:14 AM

    This is Margie...not Anonymous. .I don't garden for vegetables but I do flower beds each Spring.. I don't do much cooking.. There's just me and I don't want to eat the same thing for a week.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:10 PM

    There’s something about growing a garden and being able to eat its bounty. I enjoy watching all that was planted coming up and growing. Sadly, I live in a townhouse and I can’t grow a garden. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonder verse for a farmer girl like you.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!