Monday, March 20, 2023

Pancakes and gender talk

As I was walking from the Methodist Church to the Baptist Church yesterday, my phone pinged to let me know someone had messaged me; when I got to the Baptist church and was waiting for Sunday School to be over, I checked the message.  My  oldest granddaughter was going to come and visit, which she does faithfully about once a month.

We had leftover potato soup in the refrigerator, plenty for the two of us but probably not enough for more.  No worries, because Amber usually visits with the hope I'll make pancakes.  A lot of times her mom, our ex-daughter-in-law, comes with her; she likes pancakes too.  Also, when the two of them show up, grandson next door and his girlfriend often join the fun.  

Amber and her mom arrived while Cliff was picking me up at the Baptist church, and I asked if they wanted pancakes and sausage.  As always, they were ready for a noon breakfast; I got sausage out of the freezer and gave it three minutes in the microwave on the "defrost" setting, then got it cooking and mixed up the pancake batter.  While the pancakes were coming out of the pan, grandson and significant other came over; GF had made breakfast, so they didn't need any pancakes.

As it happened, though, there was some of the batter left after the others were done, so grandson decided he'd grab the last piece of sausage and have a pancake.  He ended up eating two.  Ha!  Then he and GF each had a snickerdoodle or two.

The pancakes were not the highlight of the day, though.  We got to discussing all the ins and outs of sexuality these days and had some hilarious debates going on.  Cliff and I are the old fogies; the younger ones have various thoughts about all the genders.  My point to them is that I understand "gay" and realize gays need to be accepted as people.  But I'm way too old to try and understand trans, non-binary, and gender-neutral; Cliff and I have trouble finding the way from the bedroom to the living room sometimes, and I am not going to start calling someone I know "them" or "he" if I know the person as a female with babies.  I don't need any new terms to memorize.

Nobody got mad, we just all tried to explain ourselves to one another, and it ended up being the funniest (and loudest) conversation I've heard lately.  Before it ended, the grandchildren were wanting to take Cliff to a bar to see some drag queens!  As you might imagine, he got pretty vocal about things then, but our laughter drowned him out completely.  

I hope this post doesn't offend anyone, but it was SO funny, and every single kind of gender you've ever heard about was defended by someone in the group.  I haven't had so much fun in ages.

8 comments:

  1. I'm pretty much of the same thoughts as you on the subject. Gender pronouns really confuse me these days beyond the he/she and him/her. But since I'm not around a crowd that uses them anyway, I'm content to coast out my life and let my kids deal with the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound like a funny and interesting conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a pleasant discussion on the topic. Some of my nicest patients and best nurse co-workers just happened to be LGBTQ+. Ancient Hawaiian culture respects those of Bi orientation as being a revered and wise person since they understand the spirituality of both genders. Kind of an interesting thought, eh? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we heard lots of interesting thoughts yesterday.

      Delete
  4. You are absolutely right, Linda about the ancient Hawaiian culture. I have a few friends who have a child who is gay or trans. I've known one child since he was the most beautiful little girl, but I'm very happy that he is now more at peace with who he is. I'm afraid I'm confused with all the terms too though. I figure everybody has a right to be who they are and we have to respect that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gays and lesbians, I understand. I've worked with some of them and have no problem The other stuff I don't understand, but I don't have to deal with it where I live. Three of our group were all for every gender; Cliff and I just don't get it, and won't live much longer anyhow, so we aren't going to deal with it. It doesn't affect our lives, and I really don't care what others do. Ed said it best. "I'm content to coast out of my life and let my kids (and grandkids) deal with the issue."

      Delete
  5. I know two people from teaching. They were born with both male and female organs. The one was made a girl by the parents. By 6 th grade when I knew her she had a deep boy voice. She had a beard.. All very sad. The other the parents picked him to be a boy. I was friends with his grandmother. Don’t be offended by this…she said he had a very small penis. He graduated from college and moved to Texas. He decided to be a girl. I think he took some treatments. From Texas he moved to Oregon and when he made the move he became Laura and a girl. I look him up on fb every once in a while. He made a very pretty girl. His name is Laura now. Before it was Jesse. Donna, I don’t walk in their shoes so I just try not to judge them. Arkansas is passing laws to suppress the openness. Of their lives. Teachers can’t be made to call a he a she. They have banned “drag Queen” shows. Lots of other little laws. I have noticed that already it’s not so open and “in your face”. It does make me uncomfortable when it’s all extreme. The gay folks don’t bother me so much when they don’t exploit the way they are. I try to not stare…lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having both male and female organs is not what Trans is, though.

      Delete

I love comments!