Saturday, March 11, 2023

Lots of funerals lately

One of the sad things about growing older is realizing most of your relatives and friends have died.  Last June, the wife of one of Cliff's cousins died.  A few days ago, her husband, Cliff's cousin, was gone.  In there somewhere, his cousin Edna, died; also a first cousin once removed, not to mention the wife of Edna's son.  

My husband and I have been known to tell one another, "We're dying like flies!"

But it isn't so sad when the person has lived past 70 and has had a happy, interesting life.  As I watch their spirits shuffle off this earth, I realize that's the natural order of things, and I am no more afraid of death than I would be of the common cold.  The only worry I have about my dying is I would hate to leave my husband alone; I can't even picture him on his own.  But then, I don't really want to be the one left behind, either.  Those two things are my only worry about our dying, and when I begin to worry, I just tell Jesus I trust him to take care of us, as He always has; that's how I deal with worrying about things I can't change.

I know not all the readers of my blog are believers, and I want to say from the bottom of my heart I am not trying to change you.  But sometimes I want you to know how I really feel, just as some of you have been genuine about your beliefs; as long as you express them without anger, I respect what you have to say.  I would never try to cram my beliefs down your throat. 

Anyhow.  Archie, Cliff's cousin, didn't want a funeral, but there will be a short visitation and a graveside service, and we intend to go, although rain is forecast for the entire day and we may skip the graveside service.  It seems rather silly to go for a two-hour drive when we may only spend a few minutes at the visitation, but Archie was part of Cliff's childhood.  Cliff didn't always have a happy home life, but when they went to Versailles, he had a blast with his cousins, aunts, and uncles; Versailles was his happy place.  Oh, the stories he can tell about those times!  

So I think it's only fitting we give Art Hansen a proper goodbye.  

14 comments:

  1. Kelly Hansen7:32 AM

    Thank you for remembering and honoring our dad. He too, told of great times they all had together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:42 AM

    I look forward to seeing you guys, it's sad it seems that this is the only time we get together. Love little Jim ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. David9:24 AM

    very thoughtful post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funerals are a part of life, sad but true. I wonder at times who would take care of my husband if I should go first. He is not one to pay attention to instructions and has been taken care of all his life! But I sometimes worry about my animals, as well. I need to put my wishes in writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funeral are not for the deceased. They're for the people left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely and profound post. Those memories will always be alive for Cliff; our loved ones remain in our minds, even though they're not physically here with us any longer. My dad would never have survived without my mom so it's probably better that he went first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:42 PM

    I know what you mean. My classmates are dying off too. This is Margie at Margie's Musings. Not Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:43 PM

    I am thankful I have the assurance of Salvation and the knowledge I will spend eternity in Heaven, all because of my simple belief. I pray for others to also know. I can't imagine e not knowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they aren't believers, they have their own opinion of what will happen, so they aren't worried about it.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous7:25 PM

    I'm so sorry. I hope yall have a safe trip (there and back). Seems like more and more are leaving this world lately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don’t want a funeral. Guess I’m a little strange.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm quickly approaching that stage of my life too. In the last three years, I've lost two grandparents and one parent. I still have one grandparent out there which is a rarity for people my age. I can thank early surprises for my grandmother and my mom for that.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!