Monday, December 02, 2013

It's all over but the turkey frame soup

Thanksgiving is a wonderful holiday, but it's the worst time ever for a person trying to maintain her weight.  Because I have maintained so well up to this point, I decided to throw caution to the wind, eat whatever I wanted for three or four days (that's how long Thanksgiving food stays around, after all) and then get back on track.  

I was expecting at some point to feel my jeans getting snug, but that didn't happen.  Of course, I don't wear my clothes tight, so there's always a little extra room in those jeans anyhow.  Cliff said he could tell his clothes were a bit snug.  

This morning I got on the scales with a sense of dread, which turned to elation when I saw I was only 1.6 pounds over my target weight.  I'll be rid of that by the weekend!  I hope Cliff fares as well.    

Yesterday morning I awoke with the feeling that I had overdosed on white flour, sugar, Velveeta, Crisco, and Cool Whip.  I was craving fresh fruit, but except for two bananas, there was none in the house.  Before the day was over we drove to the store and came home with tomatoes, grapefruits, oranges, and apples.  

Today I'll make turkey frame soup, which we'll have for dinner, and I'll freeze some in two-serving portions to have for other quick and easy December meals.    

Gracie, the oldest of my three heifers

We are still pondering how we will get my three heifers bred.  We will probably buy an Angus bull, keep him for a couple of months, then sell him.  If it weren't for Penny being so young, we could do this next month, but she really shouldn't be bred before March at the earliest.  Three cows bred in March would mean three cows having calves in December.  That could be tricky, too.  

After all our misfortune with cattle in the past year, I have toyed with the idea of selling them all, cutting my losses, and moving on.  But I do enjoy my Jersey cows.  

Here's a rare picture of me, Cliff, and our kids.  It isn't often the four of us are in the same location at one time.

And that's all I have for now.  

    

5 comments:

  1. I thought about you and your soup when my daughter was cleaning the meat off the turkey bones at our Thanksgiving gathering. She never saves her turkey frame. I should have taken it home with me, but didn't. That is a wonderful picture of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great family photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the family photo of all of you. Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really love that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Family photos are very special and this one is great. I treasure all of ours. I'm going to have to click on the link for the soup; I've never heard of it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!