Wednesday, December 25, 2013

My best to all


I wanted to have a real tree this year, but I was going to put it in Cliff's shop because the living room here at the old house just doesn't have room for a Christmas tree.  Oh, I have the small, fake, already-decorated-in-the-box tree that fits just fine.  But after two or three years with that, I missed handling the old ornaments that have been around for so long.  I really didn't want a tree around too long, so the plan was to go cut a tree the weekend before Christmas.  And then the weather happened:  freezing rain and some snow.  Since the Christmas tree farm we use is only open on weekends, that blew my chance for a fresh, real tree.   

I could have gotten a pre-cut tree cheap, had we driven to Blue Springs yesterday.  There's a Christmas tree lot there that is very open to bargaining on Christmas Eve.  Somehow, at that point, I was out of the mood.  

We're spending  today in the shop, with local relatives dropping by whenever it's convenient.  We'll be eating junk food all day:  gourmet flavored popcorn, cheese ball, summer sausage, hot hamburger dip... yes, Cliff and I have put on a few pounds over this holiday, having thrown caution to the winds, knowing that the season of temptation is about over.  I will be cooking chicken and noodles and possibly mashed potatoes to go with them.  That's the nearest anyone will get to "real food" today.  

My daughter finally got rid of the last drain from her surgery.  Things seem to be looking up for her, thank goodness.  She and the son-in-law spent the day yesterday shopping, then came here so she could set up my new computer.  I stayed with Windows 7 after hearing so many complaints about Windows 8.  My son-in-law gets my Mac Mini, which my daughter will wipe clean so Kevin can start with a clean slate.  

I hope all of you have a wonderful day with family and friends.  



6 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you, Cliff and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to read things are looking up for your daughter. We didn't put up a tree either. This is the first time in my grown life that I have the perfect spot to put a tree and now I'm too old to care but I still know it's Jesus birthday. Have a good rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you and your family have a fantastic Christmas and a bright New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wisdom I've gleaned over the past few years tells me that whatever you do and whatever works to celebrate the holiday is GREAT. There are no requirements or tests, just the love of family and Christmas. It sounds like a wonderful time and lots of good eating. Merry Christmas, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BELATED Christmas Wishes.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!