Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Babysitting on a busy day


Notice the troubled look on Cora's face?  She is a little under the weather.  Babies are smart!  She may not be able to talk, but she has communicated to me and her mother, in no uncertain terms, that she has a sore throat.


This is the only picture I got today, because I was trying to get a head start on tomorrow's Thanksgiving dinner.  Cliff helped me with a lot of stuff, and teenaged granddaughter Natalie showed up to lend a helping hand with Cora, who acted as though she had known my granddaughter her whole life.  I wish I had gotten a picture of them together, but my mind was on pies at the time.  

Cora shows her intelligence in so many subtle ways.  I can tell you that her favorite song is Amazing Grace.  If I sing it to her in an attempt to put her to sleep, she won't go to sleep.  She just opens her eyes wide, listens, and smiles.  It was also my oldest grandson's favorite song.  One time when he was about four years old, he asked his mom to sing it to him.  She never went to church much and didn't know the song, and she can't carry a tune.  Arick was very put out when she couldn't sing it to  him the way Grandma did.  

Anyway.  Even on busy days when Cora is fussy, she is a prize.
  
If I watch her eyes, I can tell she knows what comes next in Patty-cake Patty-cake, and her eyes get wide just before I say, "Throw 'em in the oven". 

She still only listens to one silly book about "Moo".  Unless she is really grumpy, she lets me read it all the way through and looks at the pages as I turn them.  That is the only book she likes.

You are probably thinking, "Oh, what a silly old woman.  She just thinks Cora is smart because she loves her."  

I do love her, but I know a smart baby when I see one.

8 comments:

  1. She sounds very responsive and that is a definite sign of a smart baby. Hope her sore throat gets better and that your Thanksgiving is as wonderful as you are. I am thankful for your friendship. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an adorable photo, and I believe you when you said that Cora is smart.

    By the way, I'm delighted that my Thanksgiving blog post made you laugh - - that's my sole intention. And thanks for sharing it on Facebook.
    Have a happy turkey day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet photo. Cora is precious. Hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this photo! Happy Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving from my house to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How precious and bless her little heart!! I hope she feels better soon!!

    Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last summer we had my niece and I would do the same thing...I sent pictures to mom all day long so she wouldn't feel like she was missing out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I don't think you're a silly old woman. I think Cora is obviously a very special baby, and I'm so glad she has you and Cliff in her life. Babies need people like you to help shape their lives, and I know you two get just as much from her as she gives to you!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!