Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Hooked on criminal shows, and a reminder


Up until a couple of years ago, I watched virtually no television. I'm computer addicted, and the Internet occupied far too much of my free time. Besides, as far as I could tell, there was nothing on TV worth watching.

Then my friend Joanna, from the Washington, DC area, flew here to visit me. I told her to help herself to my television if there was anything she wanted to watch, and she hunted up an old CSI episode. Somehow in the short time Joanna was here, I got totally hooked (not to mention that I developed a small crush on William Peterson). TNT shows six to eight episodes daily, so in six months or less I had seen every rerun that existed.


Then I searched for something to fill the void and discovered Law and Order. That show has been on since 1990 and I had never seen a single episode until last year. Cliff and I watch the reruns that play every day between the time we eat lunch and when he goes to work. It's fun to watch how those people have aged over 18 years; one day they're young, the next day it's a more recent episode and they're wrinkled and gray.


I've also discovered Cold Case and Without a Trace; I watch the reruns on TNT, and the new ones on prime time. Then of course there's Criminal Minds and NCIS and those off-shoot CSI programs... Miami and New York. Oh, and Law and Order CI and Criminal Intent.

It's gotten so ridiculous at this point that when I read in an AOL journal yesterday that there were a couple of early episodes of Cold Case showing from 3 to 5 A.M. this morning, I made a point of getting up to watch them.

All because Joanna came to visit two years ago; thanks a bunch, pal.

Like I needed another addiction.


Somebody just shoot me.

Last week I discovered a new-to-me blog called Toddler Planet. It's about a young mother fighting breast cancer. I owe her a great big "thank you" because I knew I was overdue for a mammogram, and reading her blog nudged me into calling the Breast Center at Menorah and making an appointment.

When I called to schedule, I found out it has been three years since my last one. My husband had open heart surgery at the time I should have been making my appointment two years ago, and I just let time slip away after that. But honestly, I thought I was only one year overdue. I'll bet some of my readers have procrastinated just like I did. So today, if you're one of those, please pick up the phone and schedule an appointment. It may be later than we think.

5 comments:

  1. you KNOW how I feel about Peterson-HOT.

    I think I watch CSI just for him,...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get stuck on those types of shows too.. so here is another for you!

    Eli Stone, Thursday nights, 9pm, comes on after lost... he's an attorney.. soooooooooooooooooooo addicting..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got hooked on Lost. I have been watching it on dvd and it is addictive. I am now on season 2 and will go get season 3 in a few days. That's how addictive it is.

    Good reminder for all of us gals. My mother is alive today because she had her mammogram on time. She is a 15 year cancer survivor. I think I will post about that and remind my readers too. Thanks Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I need to set my appt too. It goes by fast. Seems like I just had mine done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watch all three CSI's, too! Now "contustion" is a regular part of my vocabulary. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!