Monday, May 01, 2023

A magical moment

Last week when I got out of the truck in Aldi's parking lot, a man got out of the car next to us, opened up his trunk, and began to rearrange things to make room for the groceries he was planning to buy.  As he did so, he was whistling a happy tune, and I couldn't help smiling; when he stopped for a bit, I asked him if he could whistle the Andy Griffith theme song.

He thought for a moment and said, "Yes, I can... but right now the tune escapes me."

So I reminded him, like this:


He smiled broadly and then whistled the tune for us.  Every time I think about this encounter, I can't help smiling again.  It was a magical minute or so for me, my husband, and that stranger.

Andy Griffith is loved by so many folks that even hearing his theme song makes us happy.

And now I'll bet some of you are smiling too.

10 comments:

  1. Ask oneself are you a whistler or can you just blow hard. I’m the later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been able to whistle. Our little Cora, on the other hand, could make a whistle before she turned two years old.

      Delete
  2. There was a spring on a back road. I stopped during my work day to fill my canteen when I was on that side of the county. One day, I was waiting for the other man filling his water bottles. He was a whistler too. Just the happiest soul. We got to talking and he said he was a happy man, that he and his wife had been blessed to be able to do what they loved all there lives. Well. That was interesting. Turned out that they were professional roller skaters! I mean what are the odds? I am in the middle of nowhere...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone of a certain age knows exactly what song that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes, I remember that theme song although I rarely watched that show. I don't know why--I was a big TV watcher back in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been able to whistle either but I once grew up near a small town with a cobbler who could whistle like nobody I have ever heard. He just whistled for the joy of it. Although Andy Griffith isn't in my time frame, I have seen that show plenty of times and yes, it brings a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:46 PM

    I can't whistle either.And I am Margie from Margie's Musings! Not Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once I was whistling in the aisle of KMart and a clerk hurried around the corner. She stopped dead when she saw me. "I thought you were a man," she said, and turned and walked off. Apparently, women aren't supposed to whistle!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!