Friday, May 05, 2023

We went for a mini-vacation

You might not realize how hard it is to take a spontaneous road trip after you've retired, when it seems one should have all the spare time in the world.  However, even if we plan something weeks ahead of time, things get complicated.  

Some time back, we decided to go to Colorado.  Cliff's asthma didn't fit in well with the thin air in the mountains, which makes no sense when you consider that some people with respiratory issues go to Colorado specifically for the benefits of the dry air.  But he was seriously having a terrible time, so we stayed for one night and came back home.

This week I suggested we just take one- or two-day trips every once in awhile.  Even with our doctor and dentist appointments, that should be possible.  We've come to the realization that we neither one can walk a lot, so that limits many things we'd like to do.  Even in museums, we can't walk very long before we are hurting.  It helps if such places have benches or chairs throughout the place, so older folks can rest a bit.  But the thing is, it's nice to have a getaway sometimes, and we'll do what we can.

Tuesday afternoon I asked Cliff what he thought about just heading out on Wednesday morning, getting a motel for that night, and coming home on Thursday.  I began searching for someplace we've never really explored, and came up with Carthage and Joplin, two cities in southwest Missouri that are only about one hundred fifty miles away from home; both towns are on old Route 66.  I googled points of interest in those areas and wrote them down, along with the addresses.  We arrived in Carthage around noon and secured our motel for the night.  I asked the guy who checked us in if he could suggest a good place to eat; he said, "Depends on what you like.  Do you like Cracker Barrel?"

I gave him a resounding NO, so he told us about a place called Granny Shaffer's Diner, his favorite place to eat.  He said they make their pies from scratch, and recommended the strawberry/rhubarb pie.  That sold us, and away we went; it was good food like my mother used to make.

Joplin is a friendly town of 51,800 people, with several places of interest.  The first thing we checked out was the Butterfly Garden, a park built where the F-5 Joplin tornado touched down in 2011; 161 people died, and there were 1,300 injuries.  Six people died in the hospital when it was hit by the tornado.  The hospital was right below where the Butterfly garden is now.  The building was demolished in 2013 and rebuilt in a different location.

"I just want people to remember that we (Joplin) are strong" 
Roger Carnish 

 
Next, we visited The Joplin History and Mineral Museum.  There were more reminders of the tornado there.




There were LOTS of minerals.


The portion of the museum that has the history of the town was interesting, although there was no place for old people to sit and rest their legs awhile; if there had been, we would have probably stayed longer.  

I had to take a picture of the exact type of refrigerator my parents had until I was around 5 years old.  I remember it well.  

These were manufactured from the mid 1920's to 1935; I was born in 1944.  GE made good refrigerators even then!  When I stood in front of it, my head didn't even reach the top of the door, and it was only 5'5" tall... even including the monitor on top.

I wanted to see a place where Bonnie and Clyde stayed for awhile, robbing the local businesses and making all kinds of trouble.  All you can do is read a sign and look at the outside of the place.  If you like you can spend a night there; just don't try to do the things Bonnie and Clyde did!

Read about it HERE.
  
More tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. My paternal grandparents had a fridge like that. My mouth is watering over the strawberry-rhubarb pie! What a great trip, a perfect amount of time to be away. My mom has a walker(roller?) that she refuses to use and it has a seat that people can rest on when they need to. I know you wouldn't want to take a walker with you, but it might help with this issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even considered those walkers! I'm not too proud to use one, but I doubt Cliff would. And he's almost in as bad shape as I am.

      Delete
    2. You could always take one yourself and then if he briefly needed it, he could sit on it for a moment. :)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:49 PM

    We went to our church camp right after the tornado. It is located about 10 miles south of Joplin so we drove by the wreckage of Joplin. It was tragic. A tornado also hit our church camp...not nearly as bad as Joplin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:50 PM

    By the way, I am Margie from Margie's Musings. Not Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:01 PM

    It seems like whenever we were in Carthage or Joplin we were going somewhere else so reading your post was great!! We were heading home from Tulsa the day after the tornado and were shocked with what we could see from I 44.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you got to go on a little trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:25 AM

    Pretty neat. Due to Gary’s having been dairy farming for so long, day trips are all we ever used to take. Now that we can do overnight trips we enjoy doing this same thing. Just getting out and about for a day or two and seeing new sights can be a nice change of pace. I am glad you were able to enjoy yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've driven through Joplin a few times, but I've never stopped for anything other than a bathroom break. It sounds like I need to add the city to my Missouri bucket list.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!