Monday, May 08, 2023

Goodbye Joplin: On to a waterfall and then West Mineral, Kansas

I wanted to see this waterfall.  I love the sound water makes running through a brook and knew it would make a beautiful sound.  Unfortunately, it didn't seem as though the powers that be encourage people to go down to see it.  We didn't even have an address.  I read reviews from people who had gone there, and some mentioned it wasn't easy to find.

 GRAND FALLS

It was a cloudy day.  Cliff stayed in the truck while I risked my life walking on all those rocks, because I'm an idiot.  I proceeded very slowly.

I loved the place, and decided to risk my life a bit more by climbing up to the dam that supplies water to Joplin.

This shows both the waterfall and the water that's coming over the dam.

On my way to the dam, I took another picture of our truck, with Cliff still in it.

Here's the dam. 

Here I am back from the trip to the dam.  I was ready to get in the truck when I saw a man with a camera RIGHT DOWN BY THE WATERFALL!  So I decided to risk my life one more time in order to get a video of the sound of the waterfall, right from the edge of the stream.  As I was going back up the rocks to the truck I stumbled, but managed not to fall.  Just so you know, the reason Cliff didn't come with me is that he has more trouble walking than I do on such a difficult, uneven pile of rocks. 

See what you think of my video. 


This was really my favorite place, but the place we went next is a close second because I love to see my husband enjoying himself;  it was the sort of thing he absolutely loves.  I'll try to get back to that tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. I love the sound of running water and waterfalls but what I find the most calming and magic are the waves at the ocean. They hypnotize me! Donna, that walk over uneven ground even scares ME!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Cliff was scared for me too; but now, looking back, I'm so glad I did it. It almost made me feel like a kid again.

      Delete
  2. Looks like the perfect place to waste a hot summer day at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet all those rocks help purify that water. I’ve always heard that water running over rocks cleans it. Probably just a myth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a nice place to have a picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds nice! Be sure and use a walking stick or a cane to steady yourself on such adventures. It reminds me of a waterfall I saw in South Dakota, Grand Forks maybe? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the waterfall sounds, we have none near us but we can travel a couple hours to the North Shore up from Duluth and see a number of water falls. Scary that walk over the rocks. Yikes! But, I would have done it too!! When I was in WA State we went to Snoqualmie falls,but they had the trail down to the bottom closed for repairs. We were so disappointed, but I LOVED those falls too! The power in the water is just amazing! Wendy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!