Thursday, May 18, 2023

Time flies

For a long time I thought we bought the trailer house and had it put in  the  pasture in 2011. I don't know how I came to that conclusion.  This morning Cliff asked me how old the shingles on our  mobile home are; I told him we moved out here in 2011 and had the roofers put on the shingles in the same year.  And also, I told him, that's  the year Mama Kitty came to us.  Her story is HERE, by the way.

Oh, how wrong I was; Mama Kitty didn't decide she and her kittens would move to our barn until 2011.  The year we actually moved out here was three years earlier, in 2008.   If I didn't have a blog, I wouldn't know when anything happened!  Oh, and we did not have our roof fixed the same year we moved, either.  That was a year later.  I found that out in this entry.  

Speaking of my lost memory, I was working in a flower bed next to the back of the house last week and saw what I first thought was a weed, until I realized it had some small, dark red flowers on it.  Examining it a little closer, I studied the leaves;  I was pretty sure it was a chrysanthemum!  I know I had to have bought that plant and put it there, because this was a pasture until we got the trailer house, and mums don't grow wild.  But I have no recollection of buying it; in the end I let everything in that spot sort of go to weeds, except for some irises, and the grandson used the weedeater on the rest each time he mowed our yard.  I dug up the mum before our latest rain and put it in another spot that I had cleared of weeds and debri.  The little plant seemed not to mind.

This morning I walked outside with Cliff to show him the mum and take a picture to show my readers.  Alas, some of its beauty was stolen when the grandson's 500-pound dogs, Bonnie and Klouse, came running out to greet us.  Klouse stuck his size 10 right hind leg on my little flower before I could get a picture.  I'm sure the plant will be fine, but it doesn't look so cute now.  

And now you know why we put a fence around my garden


Poor little Chrysanthemum

I was thinning around the peonies when Blue saw the dogs coming and hid

5 comments:

  1. I thought mums were fall bloomers! I told my mom that an event happened a few years ago and then thought about it more, realizing that it was over 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do. But this is definitely a Mum. I know sometimes people selling them trick them to bloom in spring with lighting.

      Delete
  2. If you want your mum to bloom in the fall you have to pinch it back between now and the middle of July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want it to get settled in and grow big.

      Delete
  3. I sometimes have to refer to my journal or my digital picture archive to get the correct year on things too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!