Saturday, May 06, 2023

Still in Joplin

 I got the impression there would be many, many murals in the Joplin Mural Park.  Unfortunately, we didn't find many, but they were good ones.


I realized only too late that we should have gotten pictures with one of us standing beside the  car.  




And thus ended our first day of vacation.  Both of us found our favorite places on Day 2 of the trip, before we headed toward home. 

Things we will do the next time:

1.  Take a guided historic building tour in downtown Joplin

2,  The City of Joplin, Missouri designated a specific section of town as the Murphysburg Historic District, and recently added to the National Register of Historic PlacesIt features nearly 40 homes, most of which are on Sergeant Avenue and Moffett Avenue, and each showcases unique architectural styles. As groups walk the streets, they will be transported back to the late 19th and early 20th century, when Joplin’s wealthy and influential citizens built these homes.

3.  The murals we missed seeing, like this one:


AND

4.  City Hall on Main Street (Route 66) located in the Newman building, which opened in 1910 as a department store.  It houses works of art that depict important eras in Joplin’s history.

5.  Get a picture taken of me beside the car in the second mural from the top up above.

Yes, we'll be back.

5 comments:

  1. Those murals are gorgeous! I had a picture of myself next to one in Alaska and I feel like my presence distracted from the beauty of the mural itself. It sound like you already have your agenda planned for next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really cool murals! Looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:47 AM

    Those are great! Isn't Joplin the place that got razed by a tornado in 2011?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, didn't mean to comment anonymously

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing murals in towns. I've photographed a few throughout the years.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!