Saturday, May 13, 2023

Blessings in a dry year



My garden, as it looks from my yard.  Mostly bare ground.
All that green behind the irises?  Strawberries.  I'm going to have to get rid of much of this bed and start a new patch or two.  

Because of the drought, the berries will be small.  Small berries are better than no berries.

Radishes, big ones.  I didn't water them; I suppose since they only go down about 3 inches, those 3/10-of-an-inch rains once a week were enough.

In 1967 we bought a house on twenty acres where we lived for seven years; there was an apricot tree in the yard.  In 1968, when my daughter was a little over one year old, that tree produced bountifully.  My little  girl walked around in diapers, picking up apricots and eating them, calling them "babacots".  That was the only year it bore fruit, because apricot trees bloom so early, the frost usually gets them in mid-Missouri.  I  never forgot the wonderful taste of those fruits, and planted a small tree in our back yard here ten years ago.  Of course, every year the frost and cold has taken the apricots... until this year!


Oops, this is the peach tree.  Hard to tell on pictures.

THIS is the apricot tree



I wonder if this limb will break with the weight of the mature apricots.

Don't forget the radishes.  This is the year I found out radishes are good cooked.



What a wonderful world!


 

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:30 AM

    And this is Margie..not anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never cooked radishes since I love them raw! How wonderful to have such a bounty. Small strawberries are often more packed with flavor than the big ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:49 AM

    Oh, I so envy you your fruit! We have a peach tree, here. Only once has it had fruit. It always frosts when it is blooming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:49 AM

      Oh. 😂. This is Rebecca in Dallas County MO.

      Delete
    2. You need a different variety then. Our peach tree gives us peaches at least half the time, I'd guess probably 2 years out of three, actually. Look how far north of you we are.

      Delete
  4. My son adores roasted radishes. I've never had them. I keep meaning to, but....

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!