Tuesday, December 08, 2020

The Villisca axe murders

I spent the first ten years of my life in Taylor County, Iowa.  During those years my parents and I moved at least 3 times, but our address was always Villisca.  My parents were switchboard operators, back when you had to call "Central" even if you only wanted to talk to your neighbors down the road... unless they were on your party line.  Our house was where you went to pay your bill; we were "Central".  For a brief time my parents were switchboard operators in Villisca, but the place I remember best was Guss, a small, unincorporated town with a blacksmith shop, our switchboard house and a general store; our mailing address was still Villisca.

It was on the Internet that I learned about the famous axe-murders in Villisca, and a grisly tale it is.  When I first read about it, I asked my mother if she'd heard the story.  She had not.  More recently, I asked my sister who is 14 years my senior if she was familiar with the axe murders.  Nope, she wasn't.  I understand the reason, of course:  those murders took place in 1912.  Just Google "villisca axe murders" and you'll find enough to keep you reading all day long.  I'll share a link here just to get you started; it's one of the shorter accounts, and you'll find it HERE.

Of course there are ghost stories; you can pay $10 and tour the place, or spend the night there for a minimum of $428 for up to six people.  Cliff and I have gone right past Villisca a time or two in the past;  I wish we had done the tour.  

There have been several stories about the house on some of those ghost-chaser television shows.  In my opinion, ghosts are like Santa:  If you don't believe in them, you'll never see them.  Cliff and I toured the Stanley Hotel once; the tour guide wanted a volunteer to stand in a certain place where some people in the past had "felt something weird" going on.  I volunteered, but told him I didn't believe in ghosts, so he was probably wasting his time.  I felt nothing.



7 comments:

  1. I don't believe in ghosts either. I do find myself fascinated by these murder stories. Perhaps it's because I'm a mystery reader?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting story, Donna!! I loved hearing about your past, when you were young. Heck, I love to hear about the good ole days anytime. My heart is still back there! I don't know if I believe in "ghosts", per se, but I do believe there's more to reality than what meets our eyes. That much I do believe. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been familiar with the Villisca axe murders since fifth grade. We had a class on Iowa history and one of the books we used was an old book, "Tell a Tale of Iowa" by Don Doyle Brown that had everything from the Cardiff Giant, Jack London and Kelly's Army to the Villisca axe murders. Somewhere in the decades since I lost the book but about ten years ago, I ran across another copy of it and bought it. It is on my bookshelf somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often go to abebooks.com to find books I've lost that are out of print. I even once found a book a friend wrote and self-published. She had given me a copy, but somehow I lost it along the way. Even that little not-very-famous book was available for a reasonable price. I was so glad to have it back!

      Delete
    2. I try there from time to time and mostly have success finding what I want. I have one book though that I've been trying to find for many years though that continues to stump me. The only place I can find it is in library catalogs states away from where I live.

      Delete
  4. I don't believe in ghosts either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I'd like to meet any ghosts. They are very haunting. Having something like that in the neighborhood would keep me away. Not everything would be as it seems, I've got to say.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!