Sunday, December 06, 2020

A visit to Aunt Gertrude's house

I have often wished I had more pictures of the inside of my Grandma Stevens' house.  I made so many good memories there as a kid.  But there were no digital cameras then.  You had to buy film and flash bulbs ahead of time, and often the pictures came out faulty in some way when you had them developed.  With my allowance, I couldn't afford to waste film by taking three or four shots of the same thing just to make sure I'd have a good picture.  

I do have pictures of Grandma's house in my mind, of course; but if I had photos to remind me, I'd see many details I've now forgotten.

This subject is on my mind because while looking at my Amazon Photos "on this day" pictures a while back, I saw several I had taken at Cliff's aunt's house in Versailles.  Oh, if only I had pictures like that taken at my grandma's house, I thought.  Then it struck me that Aunt Gertrude was like a grandmother figure to so many people, and a friend to everyone, I'd better be thankful for these pictures that let me go back to the time when she was happy and relatively healthy, hugging everybody and feeding all who came through the door.  So I'm going to put some of those pictures here to keep her memory alive.  It isn't like my own Grandma's house, but it's full of the same spirit of love and giving that she had.  I don't know what the occasion was on that day, because normally you wouldn't see Aunt Gertrude running around the house in her robe.  Was there a funeral, and perhaps she was waiting to dress until nearer the time?  No, she must have been recuperating from some illness, because otherwise she would have been in every kitchen picture, hovering over people.  And no plastic cups would have been used, if she'd been her usual self.  

I'll never know, unless one of the other guests remembers more than I do.  I do know she was very finicky about her appearance and would probably turn over in her grave if she knew I was showing these pictures to anyone outside the family, what with her not being dressed to the nines.  But I want these memories to be readily available for those who loved her.  

Brothers:  Phil, Donald, and Cliff, in Aunt Gertrude's kitchen.

Her kitchen was tiny, but it was the heart of her home.  She could pack a lot of people around that table, and she'd put so much food on it that there was hardly anyplace for our plates.

Cliff's Aunt Lois, his brother Phil, and his cousin Darrell, Aunt Gert's oldest son.  The aunt and Darryl have passed on.  

That's Aunt Gertrude's younger son standing at the table.  See how little space there was for the table?  Obviously the guys are just having a snack at this point.


Looks like Darrell was the cook that day.  Their cousin Dale is at the table in this shot.  I guess Darrell fixed the meal that day, perhaps on the grill; or maybe that pan he's tending is full of beans.


Cliff's brother Don, having a smoke on the porch after the meal.  Cliff misses him every day.

Darrell, Aunt Gert's son, is no longer with us


Doesn't that look like any grandmother's house you ever saw?  Pictures everywhere!  This reminds me what a pathetic grandmother I am.  It's a good thing kids usually get two sets of grandparents; that way they have a better chance of having at least one normal pair.

Cliff's sister Charlene, Aunt Lois, Donald, Aunt Gertrude, and Cliff

This entry is here to refresh my memory from time to time, and to honor one of the most loving people I've known:  Cliff's Aunt Gertrude

We all loved her so much.

7 comments:

  1. Pictures bring back so many wonderful memories of different occasions, people, food and conversations. Aunt Gertrude is a beautiful lady and her bathrobe is very pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She looked a lot like Cliff's mom.

      Delete
  2. The Aunt Gertrude's of the world should live forever and never EVER die! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a hobby of making decorated photo albums before Bob died and I must have seven of those. I made each of my two boys a heritage album and an album about their deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq. I made Leslie a heritage album and also one of the progress of the building of their lovely new home. I loved doing that but I finally just wore out and one of Leslie's friends wanted to buy my scrapbooking stuff and because I was going to move into an apartment I sold it all to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a camera bug and yep, film and flashbulbs and developing were expensive when I was a kid! Pictures were not to be "wasted" on candid shots (which are my favorites). When I was a teenager I spent a fortune on "One Hour Photo" developing and thought I was getting a good deal, even if half of the pictures were off somehow. What I would give for a chance to go to any of my grandmothers' homes with a digital camera and just take pictures of everything, and everyone going about their business or chatting unawares. These pictures you took are treasures :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great memories, I wish I had those, but I never met my paternal grand parents, they were both gone prior to my birth and I never knew my maternal grandmother, she died giving birth to my uncle, years prior to me being born. I left the UK when I was 12 years old so never got to know my grandfather. Thanks for visiting my blog, come again sometime. I am now in my 80th year, that is scarey. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!