Wednesday, December 23, 2020

the day before Christmas Eve.

 Christmas is practically here, and we have no plans.  Zero.  I've never been one to get too excited by the Christmas season anyway, but it does seem strange it's going to be just another day.  We haven't exchanged gifts for many years.  Our daughter and her husband always have a gift for each of us, and our oldest granddaughter does too.  They know we don't expect gifts from anyone, but they get us one.  

I thought about putting up the artificial tree we've only used once, but then I remembered I usually get tired of having a Christmas tree in the way and then I dread taking off the ornaments and putting all that mess away.  Yep, I'm a genuine grinch, although I'm in better spirits than yesterday.

Of course I enjoyed Christmas as a child, and when I had kids of my own it was fun playing Santa.  When I was growing up, my family didn't celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday:  The Church of Christ didn't tell anyone not to celebrate, but they didn't have the Christmas plays at church, or Christmas-themed sermons.  I never knew what the word "advent" meant until I was middle-aged.  The church I grew up in believed in following the New Testament literally, and since the Bible doesn't say to celebrate Christmas and Easter, it wasn't mentioned in sermons or Sunday School.  In those days, though, even public schools had plays reenacting the birth of Christ, and we kids would sing the newest children's Christmas songs:  "All I want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth", and "Frosty the Snowman" are two I recall.  

While our church didn't have Christmas programs, my mom always took me to the one at the Methodist church down the road; I'd come home with a brown bag that contained an apple, an orange, some nuts, and a few pieces of hard candy.  At home, we'd have a Christmas tree with piles of gifts under it, and Santa came faithfully, usually bringing me something I'd asked for.  He never came through with the black-and-white Shetland Pony I longed for in the Montgomery Ward catalogue, though.  I had to wait until I was married to finally have a horse.

I enjoy watching "It's a Wonderful Life" each year during this season and "A Christmas Story".  I just read an article about something that happened in the making of Christmas Story:  Ralphie daydreams about being a cowboy killing bad guys with a BB gun, and the script says he's supposed to spit.  I'll let you find out for yourself what happened next; click HERE for the rest of the story.  

My wish for all of us is that we see the end of Covid-19 soon, but at this point I don't know whether it will ever be completely eradicated.  I wonder if it will be like the flu and morph a little each year.  I wonder if the covid vaccine will only work in 50% or less of the population, like the flu shot does.  As I think about it, I realize this thing we've all been living with since March might be with us a lot longer than we ever imagined.

Covid is the elephant in the room that makes us all a little crazy.

All I have to do is make it through the winter without making people want to put me out of my misery.  When spring comes, the world is a happier place.

One day at a time, sweet Jesus.



6 comments:

  1. I'm hoping that the vaccine will make it much less common so we can get back to a somewhat normal life. I am thinking that it won't be completely eradicated because people still won't take the vaccine, wear masks or distance. If those two new variants of start spreading, we're in trouble even those of us who are being extremely careful. I'm so tired of it. I want a break. I don't have plans for Xmas but I did bake cookies by myself and will decorate them tomorrow alone. I'm not sure if it's making me feel better or worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you and yours a Merry Christmas! Whether or not you are with someone or not Christmas comes and reminds us we are never alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Northern AB gal10:31 AM

    That's exactly the way it is at our house, no decorations, no presents and no plans for anything special. Without children Christmas is a day like any other except for celebrating the birth of our Savior, which makes it special. I will make turkey and stuffing and possibly a pie for dessert, if I get my butt in gear. Thank goodness the daylight hours are getting longer if only for a few seconds/minutes a day. I'll take it! Merry Christmas Donna and Cliff!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never knew that about Christmas Story, my favorite holiday movie of all time. I even liked the sequel that came out many years later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deleted my first comment because I gave a link to my oldest daughter's blog that I thought perhaps I shouldn't have. *lol* But here's my second comment that I'll leave up:

      I loved reading about when you were small, Donna. I always marvel at the many stories we all "carry on our backs" & gather throughout our lifetimes. My husband and youngest daughter put up the little 4' artificial tree on the side of the house where they usually dwell & hung lights and a dozen ornaments on it. I think the lights are the main thing, at least for me anyway. My kids bought me a 2' fiber optic tree several years ago and I had my husband bring it up from the basement last evening and that's the only decoration I've got up on my side of the house. That's it... and that's plenty, in my view. The lights are making it "festive" in here just enough. So maybe consider getting yourself a 2' fiber optic tree for next year, Donna. They'll probably be a good price after Christmas. No muss, no fuss.

      I wish you a blessed & holy Christmas. We're alone too but we're going to meet up with our kids & their families online through Google Meets (whatever the heck that is!). That will have to be good enough this year. ~Andrea xoxo

      Delete

I love comments!